What's new

Historian question

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
1,490
Reaction score
357
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here's an odd question. What qualifications must one meet to be known as a town/city/county historian. I recently listened to a "lecture" by one of these historians and was very disappointed. Instead of teaching us, he just wanted to sell his book. Not to mention he was rude after a few questions from the audience. Is it basically a title given by locals or is it officially designated? Thanks
 
hehe well anybody can say they are a historian according to the definition. Well I see writer in there. Self-proclaimed perhaps. I figure if you get paid for your knowledge as in a real job - you are an official
historian. I'd imagine it is quite loosely defined these days.
[h=3]his•to•ri•an (hĭ-stôrˈē-ən, -stōrˈ-, -stŏrˈ-) ►[/h]
  • n. A writer, student, or scholar of history.
  • n. One who writes or compiles a chronological record of events; a chronicler.
 
Titles like this have always made me chuckle, some one trying to impress the masses, or sell something.

Ocean7 is right, if you are getting paid for preforming under the title, then it seems more justified.
 
Write a book.
 
my wife is a historian...always telling me I never learn....ugh
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom