Historical Marker

F

flash

I always thought you could not hunt where there is a marker.Is that correct????

It seems that if you have permission from the owner ,,the marker should not matter. Are there different types of Historical Markers.

I know a farmer that has one in his front yard ,because his farm is over 100 yrs old.I will assure you that if he wants to detect it or let me, it would happen.He would throw the Marker in the garbage if someone told him no. lol

Whats the difference between that and lets say a Church or a City Park. If it is the difference between Privatly owned and Goverment owned property then I just answered my own question.

Whats the deal with this?

Upvote 0

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Was out in Galena doing a little detecting when they tore up the streets and sidewalks some years back. Working the sidewalk and parkway in front of Grant's Home (Gen/Pres.) while one of the rangers came out and asked if I was finding anything interesting. We talked and I walked and beeped up into the yard as we did so.

Told him I'd love to do the whole yard but he basically agreed that since the street and sidewalk were under construction, no biggie but the yard was still off limits. Didn't find a darn thing. A few wheaties and IH's.... Virtually the whole of that old downtown area is a NHS but no one minded me working it when the construction was on-going and I met some of the locals out there who were quite nice.

Last summer, same scenario here in hometown. The town founders second home, known as the Stone Cottage now a rental building but still on the National Register of Historic Places. Worked the sidewalk construction and parkways there. Good finds on nearby blocks but at that spot very little.

I did note for the local historical yocals the spot under the sidewalk where I found a privy hole that would correlate well with the original founders cabin, about 25 feet from the site of the original home which is now an intersection. Didn't dig the hole except the top 10", enough to date the material and hey, it'll be there next time they tear up the sidewalk. If no one is interested by then and I'm around, I'll dig what I can and probably throw it in the local museum.

As for the churches, are they NHS or State Historic Sites? Private property? You need to ask these things. I have a very Madisonian approach on these issues. Basically, as the founding fathers of this country demonstrated by their own then criminal activity against the crown- immoral or unjust laws do not impede me. Respect for property and historical context however must be maintained.

Attachments

• !B+kISzg!mk~$(KGrHqV,!iEEzLTcN8zTBN!BNPLSDg~~_3.jpg
    !B+kISzg!mk~$(KGrHqV,!iEEzLTcN8zTBN!BNPLSDg~~_3.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 14

chaos11624

Sep 16, 2003
dont quote me but i think i read once that by registering your property as a historical site you lose the right to search or give permission to search on the property
i belive it went something like that

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
OK, won't quote you. Of course, two of our oldest homes in this town are on the register of historical places. Both are occupied by crackheads and drunks. I could say there should be a law against such things but then that would be like saying there should be a law against a lot of distasteful practices. Hmmm... Do any of us engage in distasteful practices? Ever go metal detecting?

OP
OP
F

flash

I just did a brief search on the net.Found many sites showing historical places in different states.But found no rules about these places or the markers.

When I first started detecting,I found a old park with one of these markers.I had no idea what it was,or meant. I detected it for 2 hours while the grounds keeper was working right by me.He definitly seen me but did not say a thing to me.

When I told my bud that got me into detecting, he said "oh no you can't detect where there is a marker" lol. I believed him and have not done it again since.I may have been lucky that day.

I don't plan on detecting where there is a marker any time soon.Even though I can't find anything in writting that says you can't,,just "hear-say" It's not worth the risk and there are plenty of other places to detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread