What's new

Hit the beach...Nothing. Hit the cartwheel hole...REDEMPTION

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2013
Messages
1,632
Reaction score
3,078
Golden Thread
1
Location
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the quietest beach in the world and it lived up to its name. One "keeper", a 1995 nickel. Feeling bummed, I made my way to the cartwheel hole, hoping to snag another button. I managed 4 buttons, part of a pewter spoon and a musketball. One of the buttons ended up being a sweet New Brunswick Regiment button (late 1700s-1812). I thought I'd give it a 2 minute soak in lemon juice to bring out the gilt, but instead, it darn near wiped all of the detail from it! I have used this method on numerous buttons with positive results. Go figure it would have to ruin my oldest provincial regimental button I had ever dug! Just posting the "field" picture. I don't really want a reminder of its current condition
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_2016-09-28-14-46-21.webp
    Screenshot_2016-09-28-14-46-21.webp
    225.8 KB · Views: 189
Upvote 18
Awesome button, a shame it didn't fare well in the lemon juice. I'm too scared to do that with buttons- I usually just dry brush and then bring out the highlights by lightly rubbing a molecule of oil (or more disgustingly, and bit of forehead grease lol) on it.

Still a really cool find!
 
That's what I SHOULD have done! I've never seen a button degrade so fast in lemon juice. I don't even think I left it in for a full 2 minutes.
 
Awesome find! That's a sweet button
 
Killer find buddy. I can't believe it destroyed it that fast. The next one will be nicer
 
It's still legible! Looks like a killer find to me. It is what it is when it comes to cleaning. You can only save what is there.
 
Congratulations on your hunt.
Sorry to hear about what that juice did to that button.
 
Nice find, it's the memory of the initial find for me, that split second of "awwwwww'
 
Sorry you killed it. So if I read right, the picture you posted is BEFORE you gave it a lemon juice bath? And you don't want to post an AFTER picture of it because it is now toast?

At least you have the memory. I sold my 1893CC eagle when I was desperate. I still have pictures and the memory of the find. Thanks for sharing
 
Here is another tale of anguish and madness brought to us by the hobby of metal detecting.
 
Sorry you killed it. So if I read right, the picture you posted is BEFORE you gave it a lemon juice bath? And you don't want to post an AFTER picture of it because it is now toast?

At least you have the memory. I sold my 1893CC eagle when I was desperate. I still have pictures and the memory of the find. Thanks for sharing

Yes that's exactly right
 
Here is another tale of anguish and madness brought to us by the hobby of metal detecting.

More of a tale of living and learning, sharing it with the community and taking it as a teachable moment :)
 
Sweet button!! You still have that before pic and can still scratch that button off your list.
Congrats!!
 
Nice picture of the raw button, good plan not showing the lemon juiced version. :sadsmiley:
 
An oldie button for sure. It will still look good in a case.
 
A beautiful button! Congratulations!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom