What's new

hoe?

tomsneck

Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2007
Messages
407
Reaction score
598
Golden Thread
0
Location
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt, mxsport
Hello all,
Back for my wedding. Went out this morning and found this, the working end seems to be broken from use but I haven't found anything like it befor. Any ideas?, I was thinking hoe or sonthing like it. 4th pic is a celt I found earlier this winter. hope ya'll like them.(also please bear with me while I learn to post things)thanks

tomsneck
 

Attachments

  • hoe1.webp
    hoe1.webp
    37 KB · Views: 264
  • hoe2.webp
    hoe2.webp
    10.3 KB · Views: 257
  • hoe3.webp
    hoe3.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 257
  • celt1.webp
    celt1.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0
Hey Tom,

Can't tell on the hoe but I like the celt!

P.S. Nothing quite like rattleing one in. ;)
 
Afternoon,

Everything you are showing there appears to me to be of "celtic" design. Hoes are found on the street corner... :ol.....Hoes are normally thinner and lighter made for hafting at the top and made of chipped flint or even shell....at least the ones I have seen.

Happy hunting,

Atlantis
 
I have the same opinion as Atlantis. The second one is definitely a nice celt. The first one is maybe the beginning of a celt. It is pretty thick for a hoe.

Nice finds.
 
Thank you for the replies. I know up here in the northeast they used clam shells for hoeing, so your probably right about that. Do you think it could possibly be a hand tool? It is really heavy in the back end and I didn't see any obvious attatchment marks. The so called working end looked like it had seen some use so I'm pretty sure its something.

thanks again,
colin

p.s. the x mark on it is from the dredging tube.most of the points I've found in the area have something recently broken off.
:'(
 
Ditto all the above except I would add that perhaps the first one could have been used as a wedge...last one there is a nice looking celt, you can still see the "peck" marks, very cool.
 
Hey there would have to agree that these items are to heavy for a hoe.The Illinois hoes that ive seen are chipped out of flint and could all most fall under the category of a preform.which a lot of stuff seems to.Havent found any hoes yet in Maine and I also notice the lack of the term preform in archaeological references.
Jay(Always lookin for that perfect hoe)lol
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom