OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
1. Be careful, check with local laws regarding precious metals transactions (because you are conducting this as a real business with scales, acid test, business cards). In most places you need to be registered to do this and have "wights and measures" calibrate your scales.

2. When you see silverware in a lot and you either know or think there is sterling in the mix, ALWAYS offer to buy the whole lot. If you pick out the good stuff you risk getting a high price quote or having the seller decide to keep the pieces. Also, if you buy the whole lot, there is likely stuff in there you may have missed upon initial inspection.

3. Looks like you know what you are doing when it comes to the watches. So, why did you buy the timex and other cheap watches? They are nearly impossible to resell.

4. Why do you think that silverware is from the 1700s? Not that old, IMO.

5. Great scores, congrats. I think you are hooked now.

1. Not worried about local laws, I'm not big enough yet to have to worry about that stuff.
3. Timex watches were in a bag with some earring for 5 bucks. Earring were gold so I bought the whole bag.
4. I though the date stamp was 1785, I could be wrong, I'll do more research this weekend.

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On that ring watch, it looks like its .75. The 1 looks like it might be the edge of the stamp. If it's .75 now your talking 18K gold. I would have it tested. Very cool stuff. Where do you live again??????......lol

Itsmine

Apr 14, 2012
New Lenox, Il.
Detector(s) used
Garrets Coin Comander 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On that ring watch, it looks like its .75. The 1 looks like it might be the edge of the stamp. If it's .75 now your talking 18K gold. I would have it tested. Very cool stuff. Where do you live again??????......lol

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things I want to say:

1. Holy crap

2. Don't forget that costume jewelry has the potential to sell for a lot. You especially have a higher chance if it was mixed with precious metals. If it has rhinestones and a name on it, chances are it'll sell high (and fast). I almost passed up on a Liz Palacios necklace just because it wasn't precious metal (Some are made of Swarovski rhinestones which can get pretty pricey).

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Two things I want to say:

1. Holy crap

2. Don't forget that costume jewelry has the potential to sell for a lot. You especially have a higher chance if it was mixed with precious metals. If it has rhinestones and a name on it, chances are it'll sell high (and fast). I almost passed up on a Liz Palacios necklace just because it wasn't precious metal (Some are made of Swarovski rhinestones which can get pretty pricey).

Costume jewelry is a whole new realm that I don't have the patience to learn haha. I'm barely knowledgeable in the PM market. All my costume stuff gets auctioned off ever week. i usually have 3-5lbs a week and get $4-8 a pound

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha I wouldn't blame you. If you don't have the patience this is what I usually look out for:

1. Does it look nice?
2. Does it have a makers mark? (I usually never buy unless it does. It's almost impossible to sell a piece worth my time)
3. Are there any stones? If so, are they all there? The more stones the merrier, especially the bright ones.
4. Is it easily searchable on Ebay?

Selling your costume jewelry lots could be the difference between a $50 necklace and a $4 bag. Trust me, you don't need to be an expert to find an expensive piece :laughing7:

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. I hope you play the lotto with your luck.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi OMEGA: Only one thing to say ---

HOLY CRAP.!!!! :headbang: PEACE:RONB

Inkstainz

Jan 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you can take that to the bank! Great scores all around!

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol, funny thing is, my weeks have only been getting better and better, I just don't post about it lol. Check out my store to see last weeks finds lol

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
To test the pearls, wipe them with disinfectant then rub one on your teeth... if they feel sandy and send a shiver down your spine, they are real. If they are smooth, fakes

You can also rub one against the other. Same thing, it will feel grainy, gritty. Don't rub them on your teeth. GROSS! (I was my hands a million times after touching anything in any store. The one time I forgot to do it and I got sick like a dog.)

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
regarding costume jewelry ... I am falling into it by accident. Well, my jars have been stuffed with vintage stuff. I got a bunch of books from the library and I am about to give up trying to figure this all out.

Anyway, USE YOUR SMART PHONE! I saw several costume pieces today. I did a search on Ebay, and decided that most of it wasn't worth the bother. If it has a name, it searchable on Ebay. That is part of the key to costume in the beginning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread