What's new

Holzmaden, Germany?

airborne1092

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
633
Reaction score
649
Golden Thread
0
Location
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://english.fossiel.net/locations/location.php?plaats=Holzmaden

Anyone ever dug there? I live about 30 minutes away and I've always wanted to go. I was going to take the family there in the near future with my 3 year old son. Last year we dug for star garnets in Idaho and he and I had a blast!

We drove there last weekend to do a little "route recon" and to get the hours of operation et. al. and found the meusum closed but the pit just across the street had just opened. We wern't ready to stay because of a prior engagement but felt it was worth going back later; I wanted to find out if anyone had acually dug there and what they thought.

Thanks!
 
plehbah said:
I recommend that island in Lake Constance (Der Bodensee) with all of the monkeys.

I had a currywurst and bought a monkey mask when I was there.


I had some schnitzel and got bitten by a swan.
 
yea - those dern monkeys almost bit me!

I had popcorm between my fingers while feeding them. While talking to my GF (now Ex) I naturally extended my hand and started figiting my fingers to get the last kernels out and available in my palm. What I didn't see until my GF screamed, was the warning 'teeth-barring' jesture and hissing the couple monkeys were making, sitting on the fence. I almost shat myself and had a heart attack. All I could think was, oh great, all I need is rabies!

I don't think I could hunt down there - the Germans have that museum thing with the lake diorama set up just across the street, depicting how the huns used to live in that area and use the lake for protection. They prolly are afraid someone would dig up something special! Nice area though.
 
haven't checked out the Holzmaden area, but I did spend go fossil hunting at Solnhofen.
the weather was horrible but i enjoyed it anyway.
wouldn't recommend it for kids though, they won't find much there and may get frustrated, even adults may find it a bit sparse.
 
I've not been there, but I have a couple of fossils -- a crinoid and a starfish -- from Holzmaden. The preservation is pyrite on black slate/shale.

If you can't find a commercial quarry, look at road-cuts in the area for this sort of rock and see what you can find. Bring a hammer and a thin chisel (or other splitting tool) with you.
 
Harry Pristis said:
If you can't find a commercial quarry, look at road-cuts in the area for this sort of rock and see what you can find. Bring a hammer and a thin chisel (or other splitting tool) with you.

A good idea from Harry.

Be sure to check out the legality of it first though ... seems like it was illegal to park on the shoulder in Germany, at least along the Autobahn .... and digging into the road cuts could possibly be "verboten."

Some things are illegal over there that Americans would think nothing of ... Mowing-your-yard-on-Sunday being one example.
 
Harry Pristis said:
I've not been there, but I have a couple of fossils -- a crinoid and a starfish -- from Holzmaden. The preservation is pyrite on black slate/shale.

Harry, do you have pics of these in your gallery on the FF? Would be interested in seeing them!
 
fossil_femme said:
Harry Pristis said:
I've not been there, but I have a couple of fossils -- a crinoid and a starfish -- from Holzmaden. The preservation is pyrite on black slate/shale.

Harry, do you have pics of these in your gallery on the FF? Would be interested in seeing them!
I have never tried to photograph these Holzmaden fossils because they are sooo dark, with little relief and contrast. I may give them a try now that you've expressed some interest.
 
Harry Pristis said:
I have never tried to photograph these Holzmaden fossils because they are sooo dark, with little relief and contrast. I may give them a try now that you've expressed some interest.

ok, please let me know if/when you post them.

I did photograph my Solnhofen finds, but they too have minimal contrast (however in this case it's light-on-light).
Will probably post them anyway, as time permits...
 
fossil_femme said:
Harry Pristis said:
I have never tried to photograph these Holzmaden fossils because they are sooo dark, with little relief and contrast. I may give them a try now that you've expressed some interest.

ok, please let me know if/when you post them.

I did photograph my Solnhofen finds, but they too have minimal contrast (however in this case it's light-on-light).
Will probably post them anyway, as time permits...
I'm embarrassed! My invertebrate fossils are not from Holzmaden ("Posidonia" shales of Lower Jurassic age - Lias, 180+ Ma)!

My fossils are from Bundenbach (Hunsruch Slate of Lower Devonian age - 390 Ma).

"Holzmaden" / "Hunsruch" . . . not even close! My bad! :tard:

Anyway, here's one of the Bundenbach fossils:


starfishHunsruck.webp​
 
Stunning!

easy mix-up on the German locality names, especially after drinking a big German "maß " :occasion14:

just kidding Harry!

But after drinking one at Oktoberfest in Munich I did get a bit tongue-twisted, and said something really ridiculous that stopped all surrounding conversation ... but it's a complicated story that requires some tricky translation, and it loses a lot in the telling. heh heh.


( Maß: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maß )
 
That is a beautiful fossil. What is its size??
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom