Hoof Style Pestle

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I thought maybe some might want to see a HP seeing Dognose posted a Roller Style. The Hoof type was used in the Late Archaic to Early Woodland period. I really believe they found a rock that fit the shape they wanted and after years of use it eventually formed to the shape known as the Hoof Style. I know some guys older than myself that call this style (Pounders). It would of been a good tool for heavy duty processing and even pounding stakes. Excuse the leaves on it I have it in my flower bed. Just guessing but I’d say it weighs 15-20 lbs and measures 7 inches tall and 4 inches wide on the base. It has some finger dimples on it but those could of been from using it in the manufacture of a anvil type tool. It’s very dense I’m sure they were used for many tasks. I found this one in a creek near a big campsite where I found a Celt and other artifacts. I’ve only found 2 of this style of a pestle and the other is more hand sized.
NW Georgia

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpeg
    IMG_0950.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0951.jpeg
    IMG_0951.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0952.jpeg
    IMG_0952.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 58
Upvote 3
OP
OP
CreekSide

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
I forgot to add there is a line on one picture of it showing where they used it to sharpen bone awls. No damage on this due to being preserved in the spring fed creek

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread