Sunny Side
Banned
- Joined
- Sep 15, 2019
- Messages
- 192
- Reaction score
- 824
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Explorer ll
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Upvote
0
I always thought the atlatal thing was BS.
I always thought the atlatal thing was BS.
Ones like the hooked example here I believe were atlatl weights, but on presentation grade atlatls that were never used like the plainer ones. I've used the analogy before: you have your rusty, beat up 1911 knocking around in the truck for use around the farm, then you have your engraved, gold-inlaid John Wayne limited edition .45 in a velvet lined case that's never had a finger on the trigger. I have a banner that I have no doubt was used as an atlatl weight, and another I doubt was ever used as one. Same things, different applications.
Exceptional piece by the way, SS.
Indian were hunter gathererers constantly on the verge of extinction. They had little of value and were not generally known as collectors.
If you had a stone you spent hundreds of hours working would you put it on a plain atlatl. Hell no! it would have to go on your John Wayne commemorative atatl stave. Why would you dress up a plain one with all your work? Now what if you make another one? See where I'm going with this? Now you have to start packing your atlatl collection across 1000's of miles as you migrate back and forth. It doesn't seem to jive with what I "think I know" of these cultures.


Mind boggling that NA's can pass down stories for thousands of years but have no idea either...
Decent article on the subject...
https://www.archaeology.org/issues/262-1707/features/5626-native-american-bannerstones
Decent article on the subject...
https://www.archaeology.org/issues/262-1707/features/5626-native-american-bannerstones
Counterbalance idea seems to work with most stones. How would the OP's stone attach? The curve and perfect angles have to be more than decoration. Smooth out the throw? Make it more consistent? A little added pop at the end?