What's new

Need help with quartzite point

tonykidd

Full Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2016
Messages
204
Reaction score
328
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a quartzite point found near the Southwest Georgia/Alabama border. I found it in a stratified wall that we were digging, approximately 36” below disturbed soil from pine tree farming. It was in very close proximity to an obviously placed red ochre deposit, at the bottom of which were two bannerstones and a few Savannah River points. This point seems to be ornamental or ceremonial, although it’s still very sharp and could have been used sparingly. I’m having trouble typing it. Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_5235.webp
    IMG_5235.webp
    939.3 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_5234.webp
    IMG_5234.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
Upvote 1
Adena or Dickson maybe? Not to familiar with artifacts from that area.
 
WOW, that an amazing find. It looks like an Adena point to me too.
Congratulations on a fantastic find!
 
I didn't think TQ was found that far south in Florida. It does resemble a Coker though...
Tallahatta Quartz is associated with the Basic City Member of the Tallahatta Formation, Clairbourne Group primarily occurring as beds with outcroppings occurring from Neshoba County, Mississippi into Alabama, along the Chunky River and its tributaries in Lauderdale County, Mississippi and into Louisiana, southwestern Georgia, and northwestern Florida. May be found as cobble in rivers and creeks in this area. This info is from
Projectile Point Identification Guide
Toolstone / Lithic Database. I have seen TQ points found here in N.C. Fla.
 
have any of us here worked quartzite before? that is one nice point. In looking at other such material, is it safe to assume quartzite looses its edge quickly compared to other materials?
 
have any of us here worked quartzite before? that is one nice point. In looking at other such material, is it safe to assume quartzite looses its edge quickly compared to other materials?
I’ve worked both Hixton and TQ. Both are very tricky to work. And you are correct, quartzite is garbage material they used because they didn’t have any good flint. Sharp edges crumble easily.
 
I’ve worked both Hixton and TQ. Both are very tricky to work. And you are correct, quartzite is garbage material they used because they didn’t have any good flint. Sharp edges crumble easily.
Very true. Quartz is a very hard material to put and edge on. Here are a few I found here in Fla. Very grainy material
 

Attachments

  • Resized_20211004_222731_2327.webp
    Resized_20211004_222731_2327.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Resized_20211004_222807_3456.webp
    Resized_20211004_222807_3456.webp
    116 KB · Views: 17
  • Resized_20211004_222911_4867.webp
    Resized_20211004_222911_4867.webp
    136.8 KB · Views: 23

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom