Hoosier Noobies... Detector advice needed

HoosierPirates

Mar 22, 2011
Central Indiana
After decades of dreaming, I have finally decided that its time to chase that dream. I once used to enjoy digging old bottles... found alot of cool ones but I have always wanted a metal detector, in hopes on of finding buried treasures (and yes, I am realistic in what I may find) Recently, my wife has convinced me to pull the trigger and buy one... but which one? Don't wanna break the bank but we don't want a useless discouraging POS either. Any advice that fellow treasure hunters care to pass along will.

SO looking forward to digging pull tabs....errr I mean Booty, ARRRR

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HoosierPirates said:
After decades of dreaming, I have finally decided that its time to chase that dream. I once used to enjoy digging old bottles... found alot of cool ones but I have always wanted a metal detector, in hopes on of finding buried treasures (and yes, I am realistic in what I may find) Recently, my wife has convinced me to pull the trigger and buy one... but which one? Don't wanna break the bank but we don't want a useless discouraging POS either. Any advice that fellow treasure hunters care to pass along will.

SO looking forward to digging pull tabs....errr I mean Booty, ARRRR

Welcome to TreasureNet... :icon_thumright:

First thing you need to decide is what kind of hunting you want to do, land, water, coins, relics, what do you want to hunt? Decide how much you want to spend, keeping in mind you don't have to buy the most expensive, but you also don't want to buy the cheapest.....You can get more bang for your buck by buying used, but be sure you buy one from someone you can trust.....There are many good members here who put detectors up for sale as we look for something else. Many of us like to play with detectors and then resale them, or sell one to finance another. I personally own 5 now, just sold my Whites 6000 XL PRO and sitting on the money to purchase another when one comes along.....

Good luck and once you decide what you want to hunt we can help you more.......

Once you decide what you want to hunt then you can narrow it down to what kind of detector and then what brand and model....

OP
OP
H

HoosierPirates

Mar 22, 2011
Central Indiana
I think for starters, we just want to stay on dry land and hunt coins, jewelry and some historical items if possible. Hoping to find something for a few hundred bucks that is pretty versatile and allow us to have some fun. Not opposed to used at all, believe me...only problem is my if my OCD will allow me to find that deal :-\.

Then depending on how much fun it is, we'll upgrade I'm sure.

Leaning towards the Garrett brand... 350 or 250 with some extras (sport pack maybe)?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HoosierPirates said:
I think for starters, we just want to stay on dry land and hunt coins, jewelry and some historical items if possible. Hoping to find something for a few hundred bucks that is pretty versatile and allow us to have some fun. Not opposed to used at all, believe me...only problem is my if my OCD will allow me to find that deal :-\.

Leaning towards the Garrett brand... 350 or 250 with some extras (sport pack maybe)?

If you limiting yourself to few hundred bucks then best bet is 250-350, if you can swing a few more bucks I would seriously consider the AT PRO, it will give you the option to hunt fresh and salt water, or if caught in a rain storm you do not have to worry about it getting wet since it is waterproof to 30 feet...

Good luck and good hunting..

OP
OP
H

HoosierPirates

Mar 22, 2011
Central Indiana
Treasure_Hunter said:
HoosierPirates said:

If you limiting yourself to few hundred bucks then best bet is 250-350, if you can swing a few more bucks I would seriously consider the AT PRO, it will give you the option to hunt fresh and salt water, or if caught in a rain storm you do not have to worry about it getting wet since it is waterproof to 30 feet...

Good luck and good hunting..
Thanks... the AT PRO is just a bit too much coin for us. I'll look for a good deal on a 350 for starters

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
HoosierPirates

4342564 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 4342564 (2).jpg
    4342564 (2).jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 102

micprec

Mar 7, 2011
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Welcome, im also new to this and from indiana also, got alot of great advice from people on here. I ended up going with the garrett at pro. Didnt want to spend that much but tnere is alot of dealers on here that will hook you up with good price, then you wont have to upgrade right away. Happy hunting, maybd ill see ya in the field,.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread