Horstmann & Allien South Carolina Buttons C.W. Period?

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I collect all types of buttons, and I purchased a box lot of sewing buttons online. In a small box were 11 South Carolina buttons in pretty nice condition. They seemed a different and better quality and condition than most of the military and pseudo-military type buttons I find and they just jumped out as possibly something special. I'm wondering if these are actually Civil War era buttons? They are 2 piece buttons, with a nice weight. Marked Horstmann & Allien •N•Y• on the back. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

IMG_1155.jpgIMG_1134.jpgIMG_1133.jpgIMG_1141.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,

I collect all types of buttons, and I purchased a box lot of sewing buttons online. In a small box were 11 South Carolina buttons in pretty nice condition. They seemed a different and better quality and condition than most of the military and pseudo-military type buttons I find and they just jumped out as possibly something special. I'm wondering if these are actually Civil War era buttons? They are 2 piece buttons, with a nice weight. Marked Horstmann & Allien •N•Y• on the back. I would appreciate any information anyone can give me.

Thanks!

View attachment 1636000View attachment 1636001View attachment 1636002View attachment 1636003

I attended the Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina. These are the same buttons we wore on our Military Dress Uniforms. Hope this helps

Nice box of buttons with a quick ID. Congrats on both.

Tho I believe SC76 is correct , "More modern " IMO= Very nice buttons indeed.

I'd double check my Button Book 'when I relocate it '.

Or if you like Google Harry Ridgeway Archive on Civil War Button back-marks.
Sorry I don't have a link but that 'Google' search should send you in the right direction.

Thanks! Yes, they are Citadel cadet buttons. Thanks SC76! I did manage to find them on Harry's site. Thanks to Harry as well for his information, he also replied to a query and also said Citadel. They do appear to be old though. His site gives the back mark an approximate 1860's date.

So, not quite the find I thought... but still neat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back