Hose Configuration Questions

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I build almost everything myself, and anything I do buy I usually modify/improve.

This is my first Dredge build so I'm starting "relatively small" and "somewhat inexpensive". I've read/watched just about everything avail. regarding "Suction Dredge" to Hi-Banker setups. I'm 99% confident w/ my Pump choice for what I'm doing. I'm building the Suction Nozzle myself (I'll explain). I know it's not a great idea to cheap-out in the Hose department, but I also know that there are considerations that can help w/ costs.....I just don't want to sacrifice performance.

For starters here is the Pump and Specifications:
4A6C2191-7A92-4151-8D36-7D73989EF20F.jpeg

LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-5HP-2-Ga...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Max lift head: 225 Ft. = 97.5 PSI (per Foot of Head to PSI Calculator)
Brand: VEVOR
Suction: 26.25 ft.
MPN: BSUGF007
Max water displacement: 198 GPM
Fuel Tank: 3.6 L
Starting system: Recoil Starter
Weight: 44 lbs
Engine: 4 stroke 7.5 hp / 210 cc
Warranty: 2 years
UPC: 827843214636
Inlet: 2"
Outlets: 3 Total (1) 2" (2) 1.5"

The Suction Nozzle is being built off this as the "Body" (I flipped the picture for "Visual Perspective". You'll have to stand on your head to read dimensions :BangHead:)

7BB8A977-9259-4EF7-9F59-3F23FD05FB24.jpeg

I can easily cobble together a Suction Nozzle off of this w/ various fittings. I know based on dimensions that I need to be @ ~1" at the inlet and jetted to ~1/4" heading into the Nozzle.

This is where my questions start:

Per Professional Advice I'm told that it's best to restrict pump flow at the pump discharge. Based on that advice and the need to be down to 1" at the Nozzle I'm assuming I should use (1) of the 1.5" pump outlets (cap off the other 2). Put in a valve and reducer at the pump and run a 1" hose to the Nozzle. ...Or is there any benefit to the added volume in a 1.5" hose from the pump and not reducing it until just ahead of the Nozzle?

I'm also assuming that I should stick with 2" Suction Hose on the Pump Intake Regardless how anything else is configured....is that correct?

Now on the Hose between Nozzle and Sluice... I'm assuming that I should match that hose size to the Nozzle Size ~2"...is that correct?

Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to using a 1.5" hose there (aside from a cpl more fittings)?

Any other thoughts or advice on this scenario that might help??

My Sluice/Hi-Bankerish setup is fairly unique as well. Here are a cpl. pics of my 4" ABS "Highbanker" and my 2 level Back and Forth Sluice.
It's a recirculating sluice right now, but its all being mounted on an ATV Trailer so it can be used at our claims and at home in the garage.

C2659ECF-A530-4A81-9675-98E711C3F488.jpeg 961E558F-6D67-4D43-AF47-6469BFCC20AD.jpeg 369DBC50-C50E-4D27-8A16-1F9CC5694103.jpeg 90BC8517-10C1-48C9-8A65-8DBD2D7219C0.jpeg

Here is a boring Youtube Video of it operating as a Recirculating Sluice: (I re-purposed a cpl. old solar panels w/ lots of aluminum framing to build most of the 2 sluices)

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Do not restrict it at the pump.

Agreed. I remember talking with Hoser John about the same question. He explained to me all about hoes friction etc. His advice (Which I have followed was to stay full size (in my case 2") to as close to the nozzle as possible & then restrict. If your nozzle inlet is 1" you could probably start with the 1.5" port. BUT, I know crumbs compared to a lot of the guys here...

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pump will be fine for a highbanker, not so much for a dredge. The reason why is volume vs pressure.
Your pump is designed for volume. Although it will work ok with a suction nozzle just dont expect maximum suction.

With that being said here is what I suggest.............

Example: If your nozzle is 2" then your pressure supply should be 1" and the induction jet opening should be restricted to 1/4"

As far as your choice of hoses go, since you are not using a pump designed for pressure, do NOT use lay flat hose for the pressure input of your nozzle.
For best results you need to find a hose that has a smooth inside surface. Even though lay flat hose is smooth on the inside it will not provide the flow that a normal smooth wall hose will.

Reinforced flexible hose is recommended for the suction hose. Google "suction hose" and get the most flexible you can find.
Yes, the suction hose needs to be the same size from the nozzle to the highbanker.
And yes the pump intake hose should be the same size as the pump inlet.
Connect the reducer fitting to the 1.5 pump outlet and run the pressure hose from there. Do not place a valve anywhere on any line when dredging.
Yes, cap off the remaining outlets.

If you are using the pump simply to supply the spray bar on a highbanker then a valve can be placed near the spray bar but only to fine tune the flow.
Better to regulate the speed of the pump motor to regulate flow and only use the valve for fine tuning.

Another tip would be to keep the highbanker as low to the ground as possible to reduce the amount of head lift required from the pump.
Also dont forget to use a check valve and strainer at the foot of the intake hose.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

Yukon99669

Jul 30, 2020
Alaska and Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone!

I decided not to split-hairs and waste time on all the variables and ordered legit hoses and a 2" H&B Mining Dry-Land/Blaster suction nozzle.

I'll still piece together a "Frankenstein" version w/ the Brass Body sometime down the road.

Last edited:

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hoser John is a wealth of information he used to post on here daily but I hear he has had some health troubles I wish the best for him, he has posted a wealth of knowledge on here careful searches will yield it. Use the max output to the nozzle. I run 2" pressure hose on my 2.5" suction nozzle. If you know how to weld I highly recommend modifying that nozzle to where the water blast is injected into the tip of the suction nozzle verse being blasted in above, the dynamic is completely different the external blast wrecks fine recovery.

Last edited:

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Hoser John is a wealth of information he used to post on here daily but I hear he has had some health troubles I wish the best for him, he has posted a wealth of knowledge on here careful searches will yield it. U
Amen on being a wealth of ino and always being willing to share.
Hadn't heard about his health issues. Hope he recovers quickly!

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you'll have to re think the sluice for water flow for a 2" dredge a 10" wide box is used
my old 2"
newDSC01178.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread