What's new

Hot "find" for me!

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,025
Reaction score
9,215
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently bought on EBAY this basket. The maker is from a Chinook village (born 1900) that was never incorporated into a reservation. The Chinook are a well known tribe (think Lewis and Clark), that for the most part...just stayed put. So to this day their descendants remain in and around the towns that later became...well...actual "towns". Bessie Pickernell is a well known basket maker. Read about her here if you have the interest...


For me this is an awesome find, as I live in her village, know her descendants, know where all the creek and place names come from, etc.... And after being there for over 65 years, I kid you not, I am still considered a "new-comer". Most all of these native descendants are also married into the first white settler families. The graveyard from the 1860's is full of current family names.

1750434843254.webp
 
Upvote 0
I recently bought on EBAY this basket. The maker is from a Chinook village (born 1900) that was never incorporated into a reservation. The Chinook are a well known tribe (think Lewis and Clark), that for the most part...just stayed put. So to this day their descendants remain in and around the towns that later became...well...actual "towns". Bessie Pickernell is a well known basket maker. Read about her here if you have the interest...


For me this is an awesome find, as I live in her village, know her descendants, know where all the creek and place names come from, etc.... And after being there for over 65 years, I kid you not, I am still considered a "new-comer". Most all of these native descendants are also married into the first white settler families. The graveyard from the 1860's is full of current family names.

View attachment 2213411
Nice colors
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom