Hour spent at a dumping area

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I located a place not far from my home using Google Earth, an apparent local dumping ground as well as the site of at least two encampments. I had an hour to kill so I went over with pinpointer and spade, no real expectations so I wasn't disappointed. It's a bunch of modern coin, the oldest is a penny from 1962 which was actually in the best shape out of all found. A still functional clasp, a spoon in serviceable condition and of course a colored glass jar, it wouldn't be complete without a little fancy glass even if it is wholly modern. Nothing special though along the way I discovered another possible site, a largely empty lot where once a 1940s hotel stood, it's all demolished but those rubble heaps at the back of the lot may be productive to search when I get the chance.
In any case, here's today's small haul of junk, the jar wins first prize as it can definitely be used again lol

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_195837288~2.jpg
    IMG_20240312_195837288~2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71
Upvote 9

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I located a place not far from my home using Google Earth, an apparent local dumping ground as well as the site of at least two encampments. I had an hour to kill so I went over with pinpointer and spade, no real expectations so I wasn't disappointed. It's a bunch of modern coin, the oldest is a penny from 1962 which was actually in the best shape out of all found. A still functional clasp, a spoon in serviceable condition and of course a colored glass jar, it wouldn't be complete without a little fancy glass even if it is wholly modern. Nothing special though along the way I discovered another possible site, a largely empty lot where once a 1940s hotel stood, it's all demolished but those rubble heaps at the back of the lot may be productive to search when I get the chance.
In any case, here's today's small haul of junk, the jar wins first prize as it can definitely be used again lol
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
Thanx lol, I wasn't sure what I was walking into going over there, only that the trash was abundant.
Modern clad pennies are garbage, that's my conclusion. Older pennies hold up VASTLY better while modern ones won't last a year in the elements without becoming crumbly and nearly beyond recognition. Other coinage is another story but those pennies are a joke, there won't be any modern ones left in decent shape 20 years from now for anyone to find! They just rot away quick as can be.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Research can pay off. Congrats
I may go back to that location with my 9 1/2 coil, it's a spot where no one looks or cares, a "dune buggy wasteland" as my partner and I call them. Based on hits I was getting there's large objects buried there, possibly as big as a car, when the pinpointer won't shut up on a target but you just keep digging.....
Yeah, I don't know how far back the spot goes, obviously surface material is modern but the area has been inhabited for a minute so ya never know. It's a place to go when I don't have time to go to a better spot.

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I may go back to that location with my 9 1/2 coil, it's a spot where no one looks or cares, a "dune buggy wasteland" as my partner and I call them. Based on hits I was getting there's large objects buried there, possibly as big as a car, when the pinpointer won't shut up on a target but you just keep digging.....
Yeah, I don't know how far back the spot goes, obviously surface material is modern but the area has been inhabited for a minute so ya never know. It's a place to go when I don't have time to go to a better spot.
It’s like dancing with a woman. If we continually pass, hoping for someone better, we waste a lot of dances.👍🏼

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
It’s like dancing with a woman. If we continually pass, hoping for someone better, we waste a lot of dances.👍🏼
Ya gotta scout places out, Google Earth is brilliant for exactly that. Modern though the finds may be it's encouraging to find a spot I know isn't hunted out or possibly even detected at all. It's hidden in plain sight and from the signs there is most likely virgin ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions