tnt-hunter
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Apr 20, 2018
- Messages
- 2,057
- Reaction score
- 12,102
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Mountain Maryland
- Detector(s) used
- Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
Now that I am back from Santa Fe and can start detecting again. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 at the middle school. The areas I haven’t covered are not very promising, but I need to do it all to be sure I’m not missing anything. One of those unlikely spots gave up 3 silvers and a gold awhile ago so you never know.
On this trip I worked a steep hillside that was mowed very close to the ground and the dead grass piles made it slippery work. I had to walk carefully or I would slide down the hill. It was trickier than normal. I managed to find 48 coins with a face value of $2.45, a fancy Papermate pen, a 1941 wheatie, 2 rings, part of a zipper pull, a piece of a toy car, 2 odd snaps, an aluminum toy cigarette, a box cutter, pieces of copper pipe and flashing, an old cold chisel, aluminum bottle caps, an arrow (in pieces), a pile of can slaw, 41 tabs and 3 pencil ends.
The ring proves my point about covering all the ground even the unlikely spots. It is marked STERLING and it looks like it had a makers mark that has been removed for some reason. At one time it had a bunch of CZs or glass stones, but almost all of them are gone.
DAY 2
I went to the local park by the pool that has ball fields and a gymnasium building on it to see if I could find more silver. I found 2 mercs and a ring last time near the building. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 47 coins with a face value of $3.17, 2 pieces of lead type, a stainless spoon bowl, an adjustable knob, a bracelet, 2 silver dimes, a wheatie, part of a drug pipe, a power pole tag (hit by a lawn mower), a sinker, part of a hub cap, a toy car, a large assortment of brass and copper items, a large crescent wrench, a liquor bottle, lots of can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, 11 tabs and 1 pencil end.
The 2 silver dimes were in the same hole. I popper out the 1918 and pinpointed the hole and got another signal. I scooped down with the trowel and the second merc was in the dirt that came out. The bracelet was a broken mid tone. I almost passes it up but I looked down and I could see a silver shine under the brown grass is I bent down and pushed the grass aside and there it was, right on the surface. It is bent up in places because it was on the surface and got stepped on multiple times.
The bent up brass tag is from a power pole. It has P. E. SYSTEMS on it and a registration number. Potomac Edison is the local power company. These tags are no longer used on poles and I have found a few others in great shape. This poor thing really got creamed by the mower.
The funny disk is hard to read, but it is part of a Ford Model T hub cap. It is actually easier to read on the inside than the outside.
This bottle was peaking out of the ground. I dug around a little and popped it out whole. It is a MELLOW AS MOONLIGHT bottle. I can’t find a lot about it on line, but it has FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE IF THIS BOTTLE on it and that was used from 1935 to 1964. From the other stuff I am finding and the fact that it is a cork bottle my guess is it was made somewhere in the 1940s.
EDIT TO POST
I did a quick check of the bottom and remembered that the symbol in the center is for the Owen’s company. The number in front of the symbol is for the mold number 56. The one after the symbol is the year produced so 1941. I first thought that it was made in the 1940s was a good guess.
The ball field that is down the hill from the spot I detected on this trip was part of an old dump. I found silvers and even an 1804 half cent in spite of all the junk that is there. All the brass and broken glass I found on this trip leads me to believe that this area was also part of the dump.
DAY 3
I went back to the park I worked DAY 1 and worked around the tot lot (very poor) and around the upper ball fields in the badly needed rain showers. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 46 coins with a face value of $4.00, a toy truck, a ring, a brass embellishment, a brass fitting, a big brass acorn nut, a wire connector, other bits of brass, lead and copper, can slaw, aluminum fence tie wire, aluminum bottle caps, 6 tabs and a pencil end.
The ring was the best finds of the day. It was only an inch down and was a mid tone. Coming out of the grass roots I thought for sure it was gold. When I got it home and looked more carefully I could see it is marked 925, so just plated silver. Unfortunately the stones are fake, but I’ll take it. Silver should be a high tone, but I have found that silver that is thin and light like this ring and small earrings do frequently give a mid tone response. You got to dig the mid tones to find the goodies (also lots of trash).
NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a few black-eyed Susan flowers the Maryland state flower. They grow wild but there aren’t many in our area. I also got a wheatie in change.
Lots of goodies and recyclable metal to add to the pile so this was a good week. So far I have found63 silvers since May 1 so not a bad start for year number 24. I only got out 3 days this week because of a lot of appointments. Hopefully next week I’ll get out my usual 4 days. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Now that I am back from Santa Fe and can start detecting again. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 at the middle school. The areas I haven’t covered are not very promising, but I need to do it all to be sure I’m not missing anything. One of those unlikely spots gave up 3 silvers and a gold awhile ago so you never know.
On this trip I worked a steep hillside that was mowed very close to the ground and the dead grass piles made it slippery work. I had to walk carefully or I would slide down the hill. It was trickier than normal. I managed to find 48 coins with a face value of $2.45, a fancy Papermate pen, a 1941 wheatie, 2 rings, part of a zipper pull, a piece of a toy car, 2 odd snaps, an aluminum toy cigarette, a box cutter, pieces of copper pipe and flashing, an old cold chisel, aluminum bottle caps, an arrow (in pieces), a pile of can slaw, 41 tabs and 3 pencil ends.
The ring proves my point about covering all the ground even the unlikely spots. It is marked STERLING and it looks like it had a makers mark that has been removed for some reason. At one time it had a bunch of CZs or glass stones, but almost all of them are gone.
DAY 2
I went to the local park by the pool that has ball fields and a gymnasium building on it to see if I could find more silver. I found 2 mercs and a ring last time near the building. I spent 5 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 47 coins with a face value of $3.17, 2 pieces of lead type, a stainless spoon bowl, an adjustable knob, a bracelet, 2 silver dimes, a wheatie, part of a drug pipe, a power pole tag (hit by a lawn mower), a sinker, part of a hub cap, a toy car, a large assortment of brass and copper items, a large crescent wrench, a liquor bottle, lots of can slaw, aluminum bottle caps, 11 tabs and 1 pencil end.
The 2 silver dimes were in the same hole. I popper out the 1918 and pinpointed the hole and got another signal. I scooped down with the trowel and the second merc was in the dirt that came out. The bracelet was a broken mid tone. I almost passes it up but I looked down and I could see a silver shine under the brown grass is I bent down and pushed the grass aside and there it was, right on the surface. It is bent up in places because it was on the surface and got stepped on multiple times.
The bent up brass tag is from a power pole. It has P. E. SYSTEMS on it and a registration number. Potomac Edison is the local power company. These tags are no longer used on poles and I have found a few others in great shape. This poor thing really got creamed by the mower.
The funny disk is hard to read, but it is part of a Ford Model T hub cap. It is actually easier to read on the inside than the outside.
This bottle was peaking out of the ground. I dug around a little and popped it out whole. It is a MELLOW AS MOONLIGHT bottle. I can’t find a lot about it on line, but it has FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE IF THIS BOTTLE on it and that was used from 1935 to 1964. From the other stuff I am finding and the fact that it is a cork bottle my guess is it was made somewhere in the 1940s.
EDIT TO POST
I did a quick check of the bottom and remembered that the symbol in the center is for the Owen’s company. The number in front of the symbol is for the mold number 56. The one after the symbol is the year produced so 1941. I first thought that it was made in the 1940s was a good guess.
The ball field that is down the hill from the spot I detected on this trip was part of an old dump. I found silvers and even an 1804 half cent in spite of all the junk that is there. All the brass and broken glass I found on this trip leads me to believe that this area was also part of the dump.
DAY 3
I went back to the park I worked DAY 1 and worked around the tot lot (very poor) and around the upper ball fields in the badly needed rain showers. I spent 4 hours swingin the CZ21 and found 46 coins with a face value of $4.00, a toy truck, a ring, a brass embellishment, a brass fitting, a big brass acorn nut, a wire connector, other bits of brass, lead and copper, can slaw, aluminum fence tie wire, aluminum bottle caps, 6 tabs and a pencil end.
The ring was the best finds of the day. It was only an inch down and was a mid tone. Coming out of the grass roots I thought for sure it was gold. When I got it home and looked more carefully I could see it is marked 925, so just plated silver. Unfortunately the stones are fake, but I’ll take it. Silver should be a high tone, but I have found that silver that is thin and light like this ring and small earrings do frequently give a mid tone response. You got to dig the mid tones to find the goodies (also lots of trash).
NON DETECTOR FINDS
I found a few black-eyed Susan flowers the Maryland state flower. They grow wild but there aren’t many in our area. I also got a wheatie in change.
Lots of goodies and recyclable metal to add to the pile so this was a good week. So far I have found63 silvers since May 1 so not a bad start for year number 24. I only got out 3 days this week because of a lot of appointments. Hopefully next week I’ll get out my usual 4 days. Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Attachments
Last edited:
Upvote
16
Great Posting 






