jernigan00

Sep 14, 2005
Oswego, New York
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excalibur ll, Ace 250
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad found this neat one on our ranch. He spotted it from horseback it stood out that much.

It is magnetic and from what I've learned so far, it is no doubt a meteorite.
The "sunburst" symetric groove patterns are very unique looking.

I'm curious if anyone might recognize the type and offer up a possible value....not that I'm going to sell but better to know and safeguard than to leave it out for others to take advantage of my ignorance.

HH

Attachments

• Meteorite2.jpg
    Meteorite2.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 513
I can say with almost certainty that it is not a meteorite. It doesn't have a fused crust. The black streakes must be magnetite. Not sure what the brownish material is--limonite-bearing quartzite? Can't really tell from a photo. Not sure what the markings are. Could be a sedimentary phenomena.

I don't know much of anything about meteorites, but regardless, it's still a neat looking rock...
It looks like a miniature landscape and I also see an Elfish looking character on the left side...
Good luck, & Happy hunting~

Attachments

• Elf_Character.jpg
    Elf_Character.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 520
I was afraid someone with more "know" than me might let the wind out of my sails. It is such an odd magnetic rock that several of us thought it must be from else where.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna have an expert check it out in person for the official word.

jernigan00

The idea of it being a fossil never crossed my mind. Thanks for the alternative.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back