How complicated is the V3?

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I have a MXT and was thinking of getting the new MXT Pro. However, I cannot help to wonder if I should be thinking more on the line of the V3? I am afraid of going to hi tech, as I am not a tech guy. I hear of more silver finds with the V3, whether it is true or not, I don't know for sure.

Any thoughts or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :coffee2:

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
John (Ma) said:
I have a MXT and was thinking of getting the new MXT Pro. However, I cannot help to wonder if I should be thinking more on the line of the V3? I am afraid of going to hi tech, as I am not a tech guy. I hear of more silver finds with the V3, whether it is true or not, I don't know for sure.

Hey John, I don't know much about that V3 but have been watching and talking to people that do know and so far there's very little info about it. I'm sure it's a good detector but just how good? :dontknow:

I know one person that uses one and there are a couple on T-Net that do. Their finds haven't impressed me. If you're in the market for a new one, maybe you should look at the Fisher F75 limited edition. I hear it's deeeeep.

I think with a little practice, that Tejon you have would beat the pants off a V3. :wink:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John I got to play with the V3 and found it hard for me to wrap my skull around it and a friend of mine says he hasn't gotten any deep silver with it yet. He is experienced I know and he is just using the regular programs while he learns. As was said, the Tejon is deeper I believe and I don't use my DFX anymore mainly because I like the light weight an easy of use of the Tejon.

However if you like to watch a color screen go for it as it is all about the fun anyway. :coffee2:

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the replies, I spoke with a guy that had the DFX and now the V3 and he is now finding silver at places he had hit with the DFX. However he has had the V3 for a while and is still learning. That sounds like a bit much to me, I like to get out there and hunt, maybe I will miss something and maybe not. But as Sandman stated, I think I may have a hard time wrapping my skull around it as well and will probably stick with the Tejon and MXT. Thanks again! :icon_thumright:

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey John. I too used to own an MXT (the 300) and LOVED it!!! So, I was always hanging out on the White's forum or with others who ran with White's machines. Many of them "upgraded" to the V3 or V3i. A LOT of them don't use it, or, have re-sold it.

It is a VERY difficult machine from what I've seen, read or heard. E-S-P-E-C-I-A-L-L-Y if you're like me (and it sounds like you are) - NOT a technical person. Even more so coming from a turn-on-and-go unit like the MXT.

Remember, detecting is supposed to be fun. If it's not in your nature, will you REALLY enjoy fiddling with programs, traversing complicated screens and taking many, many months to learn a new detector? Probably not.

As for folks making "better" finds with the V3, well, don't fall for the hype. Of the thousands of V3 owners, you will obviously only see (and remember) the posts with the awesome finds. But, what about all of the other users that don't find squat?!?!

The MXT is one of the best machines around. Besides, forget ALL brands all together. What it REALLY comes down to is knowing your machine and finding older, fresher sites. Period. Do this and you can use a vacuum cleaner and STILL make terrific finds.

Stick with the MXT, or, upgrade to the new MXT Pro which I hear is even better :thumbsup:

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
njnydigger, I think you have brought up some excellent points and that was an excellent post! I think I will be staying with the MXT and may get the Pro, as every time I use it, I like it more. Again, great post! :icon_thumright:

Mineo26

Apr 15, 2010
New Jersey
njnydigger said:
Hey John. I too used to own an MXT (the 300) and LOVED it!!! So, I was always hanging out on the White's forum or with others who ran with White's machines. Many of them "upgraded" to the V3 or V3i. A LOT of them don't use it, or, have re-sold it.

It is a VERY difficult machine from what I've seen, read or heard. E-S-P-E-C-I-A-L-L-Y if you're like me (and it sounds like you are) - NOT a technical person. Even more so coming from a turn-on-and-go unit like the MXT.

Remember, detecting is supposed to be fun. If it's not in your nature, will you REALLY enjoy fiddling with programs, traversing complicated screens and taking many, many months to learn a new detector? Probably not.

As for folks making "better" finds with the V3, well, don't fall for the hype. Of the thousands of V3 owners, you will obviously only see (and remember) the posts with the awesome finds. But, what about all of the other users that don't find squat?!?!

The MXT is one of the best machines around. Besides, forget ALL brands all together. What it REALLY comes down to is knowing your machine and finding older, fresher sites. Period. Do this and you can use a vacuum cleaner and STILL make terrific finds.

Stick with the MXT, or, upgrade to the new MXT Pro which I hear is even better :thumbsup:

The majority said the tejon was a good relic detector but when i got it, i was not having fun with the knobs at all ontop of it malfunctioning on me. weather being i bought it used or maybe my cell phone screwed it up. you got a great point njnydigger you gota have fun. after lookin into the mxt watchin the videos i was sold. found a good deal on a mxt with a pinpointer on ebay im waiting to arrive

OP
OP
John (Ma)

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
I had picked up a used MXT over the winter and I have alot of fun with that detector. Good choice :thumbsup:

Bradley137

Aug 4, 2007
DIXIE
Detector(s) used
Minelab, White's, Fisher, Tesoro
It's not for everybody. The V3i is fully adjustable. Everything about the detector can be tweaked to fit your hunting conditions and style. Nothing else offers that. There are turn on and go presets anyone can use but, as with any detector, to get the most out of every situation you'll need to learn what each function does and how to adjust it. There is an in depth manual to teach you as well as forums with other users and DVD's not to mention Whites is just a phone call away.I've been hunting for 25 yrs. with all the big brands but this is the first detector I can say, "I love it".

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I can only comment on the v3i. The V3i is a fun detector, yet IMO it is quite a gamble to spend that kind of money on one and find that you are swamped with so much program settings just to make it emulate a "turn on and go" machine. The manual indicates that the factory programs are "turn on and go" for the new owner getting used to the V3i. Well, "turn on and go" it ain't, even with the factory programs. As far as the manual, you actually have to read two, one for the V3 and one for the V3i, all of the facets of the are not in one manual for the V3i like you'd expect. Also, the manual is IMPO, "shallow" in it's explanations of many of the functions. The manual certainly has chapters on all of the functions alright, but is only scratches the surface on many program setting details,,,just enough to get me into trouble.

For the dollars and cents this unit costs up front, I'd suggest thinking long and hard before promoting one to someone. It may have capabilities no other detector has, but it shouldn't take endless studying the manuals(which don't impress me very much) just to make this detector user friendly right out of the box, just to GET TO! those extra capabilities.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my MXT about a year and half now, but still learn little tricks and things about it. I wouldn't trade my MXT for three of any other detector no matter what they cost or how good there supposed to be, I've made some really great finds with mine, even though it was the first one I've owned. My very first find with it was an 1865, 2 center and 1865 IH in the same hole. I've hit this spot pretty good, its been hunted by others with various detectors and I pulled about 30 1800's coins from this spot. HH

M-Taliesin

Apr 22, 2009
Aurora, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT 300/Sun Ray Probe, White's MXT Pro/Sun Ray Probe, White's Spectra V3i/Sun Ray Probe!
McKinney_5900 said:
The manual indicates that the factory programs are "turn on and go" for the new owner getting used to the V3i. Well, "turn on and go" it ain't, even with the factory programs.
<Snip>
Also, the manual is IMPO, "shallow" in it's explanations of many of the functions. The manual certainly has chapters on all of the functions alright, but is only scratches the surface on many program setting details,,,just enough to get me into trouble.

For the dollars and cents this unit costs up front, I'd suggest thinking long and hard before promoting one to someone. It may have capabilities no other detector has, but it shouldn't take endless studying the manuals(which don't impress me very much) just to make this detector user friendly right out of the box, just to GET TO! those extra capabilities.

Howdy Amigo!
The information I've quoted here is right on the money! I was the first in the state of Colorado to get the new V3 when it arrived in stores. Then I got it upgraded to the V3i a few months later. My machine has already been back to Sweet Home twice now, and is almost ready to go back a third time for issues I've encountered. While at work one day, I tore up my knee and will need to have surgery on that issue, but I've been shelved because a blood clot developed in that same leg, so I am stuck waiting for medication to eliminate the risk of that blood clot breaking loose during surgery. Point of this is, I haven't been able to spend quality time with my V3i to work out the problems caused when I did a master reset, as advocated by one of the guru types on the White's forum! That made a mess of my machine, and rendered it nearly useless.

That being said, the machine worked okay before I screwed it up by following bad advice. Not stellar, not astounding, but mediocre.
It never found anything deeper than 6 inches before. And as for the notions that it is "Turn on and go", well I'm sorry to report that the very first thing I had to do was fiddle around with the RX Gain and Discrimination settings to get it to quiet down. It was a wonderland of falsing otherwise, and target sounds that seemed attractive proved unrepeatable. After adjusting both RX Gain and discrimination, it ran pretty good, but not impressive. My MXT 300, and my newer MXT Pro could easily get results as good or better than the V3/V3i.

There is a notion around that folks who bought the V3/V3i are just a bunch of cry babies when it doesn't fulfill their expectations. It should be remebered that those expectations are based on what claims were made about this machine before buying the thing. The manual(s) are not a wealth of information regarding all the settings that can be fiddled with on this machine. The fact that you need to get both manuals to support understanding the machine is indicative of how lackluster they are.

While I can see what the potential is on this machine, and have seen reports from others who have enjoyed real good results with them, easily finding coins down to a foot and better, they all have one thing in common. They are all long term users who have a wealth of expertise to tweak and cajole the machine into giving what most of us ordinary types figured we'd get straight out of the box. The list of settings and possible combinations, all of which can have an affect on several others when one is changed, runs well into thousands, if not millions, of possible permutations. If you have a highly technical background, you're good to go and will enjoy this machine. If you are a regular, run of the mill, ordinary guy who just wants to enjoy finding good targets at remarkable depth, you're in for frustration that would test the patience of Job! You'll spend much more time learning the settings and what they do than hunting. Personally, I didn't sign up for a science project. I wanted results, and while I have enjoyed some terrific finds, they were nothing the MXT Pro couldn't match handily.

And if you hit that frustration level, you'll soon discover that you are viewed on other forums as "lazy", "Unwilling to make the sacrifice" and a cry baby. That's what you can expect for your sacrifice of time, energy, money and study when things just don't gel for you with the V3/V3i. I know, because I've already been treated to rhetorical affront and condescending hyperbole on other forums.
In the end, the user is told they are just too stupid to own such a complex machine.
Ah, now we're having fun, eh?

My opinion is that you have a truly great machine in the MXT. It will give you results without a degree in quantum physics as prerequisite. While I have the MXT 300 and the MXT Pro as well, if you have an MXT then you already have a terrific machine. The Pro just gives you a few other options that might prove useful, but not really anything significant. You get tone I.D., lighted screen, trigger forward locking your pinpoint (handy for DX-1 probe users!!!) and some other changes. Is it worth moving up to the MXT Pro? That is a question only the customer can answer for him/her self. It was for me, because I do a great deal of hunting after dark. Plus, I really like the tone I.D., though the tones are somewhat harsh on the ears in my opinion.

So my best answer to your question is this...
There are all manner of folks running around who will rave about the V3/V3i.
I ain't among them. Those who view it as a terrific machine have all kinds of technical expertise.
I'm just an average guy who wants to spend more time finding gold than fiddling around with settings.
While I hold a college degree in Sports Medicine, nothing in my education prepared me for this machine.
It is dynamic, complex and has a real steep learning curve. If you have a keen understanding of the various settings and what they do, you'll enjoy this machine. Even then, you'll likely spend far more time fussing over settings than bringing in the goods!

I have found a whole bunch of gold and silver with my MXT 300 and MXT Pro.
I've also found it with my V3/V3i.
But for the money invested, the time spent, the frustration endured, the sacrifices made....
I'd have been better off just hunting with my MXT machines.

The final word is, I've spent a great deal of money on White's machines.
XLT, MXT 300, V3/V3i, MXT Pro, Prizm 6T and associated coils.
My next purchase is likely to be a different brand because I want to enjoy the hobby,
not field abuse from guru types who look askance at anyone that can't measure up to their years of technical experience.

However, to be fair, I talked with a rep at White's and they said I'd be taken care of. That's great.
But the other forums out there will quickly ruin your day, especially the one you'd think would be most concerned about your customer experience. Don't bet on it though.

Hope you find this answer helpful, and I want to add in closing that I've known njnydigger for some time, and guess why he's posting over here. And me too! After all, who are we? Just customers, that's all. There are plenty more of us where we came from!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
John (Ma) said:

I have been a treasure hunter for over 30 yrs. Even with a MBA I found the V3 at first overwhelming. The learning curve is very high. Plus the fact the owners manual and DVD just explain the basics and is very vague. If in fact you want to spend the winter months reading the manual and reading all the forums about the V3, I would suggest buying what you are familiar with.
Just my opinion. When I upgraded last yr I purchased a V3, ETRAC, and Excaliber II. Bad move trying to learn all 3 machines during the winter months to be ready for summer hunting. Don't get me wrong, the V3 is in fact an awesome machine and I can tell you this that even spending the most part of the winter months reading and rereading the manual and forums, I still found that it wasn't until mid June that I felt comfortable changing settings and putting my own custom programs in her. Bottom line, each time I go hunting I experiment a little more with the settings but by no means an expert. Remember when people tell you they are an expert, this goes back to my college days, Physics professor told the class the definition of expert. X IS AN UNKNOWN FACTOR, SPURT IS A DRIP UNDER PRESSURE..LOL
Happy Hunting

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its not complicated at all. If its in the ground the v3i will find it. You just need to know the tricks on how to use it. So many people buy the v3 then get discouraged and give up. I got this unit and told my self I am not giving up till I master this thing.
well it took about a month of trial and error. but now I go hunt and I can hammer silver coins at 12+ inches deep. This unit runs in 3 frequencys. The trick is to learn ground conditions and set the correct frequency and coil to the correct ground condition. Thats the trick! Its not hard at all. Read the manuel also. I have found over 40 silver coins in a cupple weeks with this v3i. I also own the new etrack form minelab and I can find things that the minelab cant. The v3i does find things deeper than the etrac. I find my self leaveing the other detectors at home and just takeing the v3i every were i go. if any one needs any help with there v3i drop me a pm and i will try to help you the best i can. thanks

TC-NM

Jun 8, 2008
Sunny AZ
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro & Spectra V3i / White's E Series 9000 & Sunray Pro Golds HP's / Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT/ White's digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John (Ma) said:

JohnMa,

I think that you'd answered your own question. If you're computer literate, then you have no problems in navigating thru the menus which are windows based driven. If you're hesitant, then stick to your present detector or even get something simpler to operate.

That's my two cents on that.

TC-NM

KYBuzzBox

Apr 7, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, D2, 6x10DD, 4x6DD, Super-12, 8x14DD
Hi JohnMa,

I agree with TC-NM. If you were happy with your MXT I would upgrade to the MXT-Pro, if you want a turn-on and go machine. If you are looking for a challenge, then go for the V3i. The learning curve can be a little rough at first. However, after taking a few months to learn the V3i I really like mine. Like Tumblin2, I find old silver an minnieballs at 13"+ all the time. Having the ability to change the detector setting for different site soil & hunting conditions is great. But it didn't start that way. The V3i is not a start & go machine.

Hope this helps....KYBuzzBox

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread