HOW DEEP WILL AN XLT GO?

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
I HAVE A LITTLE STORY TO TELL SO BARE WITH ME....
LAST SUMMER THE WIFE AND I WERE OUT DOING SOME DETECTION AT AN OLD HOUSE THAT IS BEING REMODLED. I WAS WALKING ALONG AND GOT A REAL FAINT SIGNAL THE DEPT FINDER SAID 13"....WOW SO I FIGURED WHAT THE HECK.....STARTED DIGGING, AND DIGGING AND DIGGING.....AFTER WHAT SEAMED LIKE DAYS AND DAYS OF DIGGING AND NOT FINDING ANYTHING, AND I MEAN ANYTHING AT ALL I STARTED TO WONDER....SO OUT CAME THE XLT AND BAMB THERE IT WAS AGAIN AT THE BOTTOM OF THE HOLE 13"...SO WHAT DO I DO...YOU GOT IT BACK TO DIGGING, AND DIGGING AND DIGGING.......DAY IN AND DAY OUT DIG DIG AND A LITTLE MORE DIGGING.....AFTER WHAT SEAMED TO BE ATLEAST A WEEK OF DIGGING I FOUND SOMETHING....WHAT DO YOU THINK.
HAPPY HUNTING
LGP

Attachments

• Copy (2) of GERAF HEAD SMR 03.jpg
    Copy (2) of GERAF HEAD SMR 03.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 399
Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're not just joking, then the depth reading on an XLT is only accurate for coin size objects...so what you were experiencing was probably a large deep object...probably 3 or more feet down, depending on the size.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious why you sent the XLT to the Doc? I also have one, it's almost 2 years old and well used, has a few temperments but I'm happy with it. Aded a 12" Hotshot coil to it and have gotten a little more depth. HH, Mike

whispers

Jan 1, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
dfx
My friend who owns xlt pursuaded me to get into buying an md. I bought a dfx because of the similarities. However The max depth in any mode of operation was 12"" on my recently posted George washington medal and the dfx was telling me it waS A QUARTER @6 " i ALMOST GAVE UP ON HOLE AT 8" BUT IT SOUNDED SO GOOD AND LOCALIZED I persurveered down to 12". I don't know what this means in terms of you're question,but would have to guess the XLT will do that on a similiar target of depth and size.Althogh yours' may not lie to you.

Klaatu

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I had an experience similar to whispers. I found a silver dollar size bronze token at about 12" under a tree root. Showed as $1 at 12" using my 10" coil.

OP
OP
LONE GUNMAN

LONE GUNMAN

Mar 12, 2005
DIGGIN' IN NEVADA
HOLLY COW GUYS I WAS GETTING AT I DUG SO DEEP I FOUND A GERAFFT IN AFRICA.....I KNOW HOW DEEP MY MACHINE WILL GO....ITS AT THE DOC FOR A CHECK UP....LOL...DEEPEST COIN I HACE PULLED WAS AT ABOUT 9 INCHES....LOL
HAPPY HUNTTING
LGP

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dug several lead shots about the size of a BB, at or around 9 to 10 in. Tsgman

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey who took my Giraffe? :o

God bless,
Peter

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great Question...The thing about most datectors is that they will pick up objects that are deeper than the range of a normal coin signal...For example: I have found Dimes at 10 inches with the XLT if the sensetivity and pre amp gain are set right....Now with all that said ,you can still pick up an object at 12 inches or more if the object is round ...and depending on the size and the descrimination setting you have the detector set on.....I have found a number of large iron rings , cannon balls , even large hot rocks at depths of 15 to 20 inches at least. I use both the XLT and the Minelab explorer 2....Hope this helps..Seeker

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as deep as you can dig the hole to bury it ;D! I don't own a White but my Garrett will get deeper on some days than others. Pobably something to do with ground conditions and weather? Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread