What's new

how do i clean...

potsy

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
43
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Youngstown Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my first barber dime, it's all gray, how do i clean it without messing it up?
 
Electrolysis is the best method - then rubbing the coin with a damp chamois. If it's a saltwater find, this process may result in pitting.
It's sometimes trial and error - maybe wait until you get some experience before you work on the coins you really like. I've shed tears over a few coins I ruined, which I now would have restored pretty well.
 
If you clean the gray off, you will have messed it up. Best bet is to leave it as is, just rinse off any dirt and pat it dry, never rub with anything.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom