JakePhelps
Silver Member
- Joined
- Jul 7, 2005
- Messages
- 3,020
- Reaction score
- 17
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Massachusetts
- Detector(s) used
- Tesoro Cibola
Hey, some of u might remember me from 3 or 4 yrs ago, I haven't been around for awhile i went thru some bad times and things
sry for disapearing but if u dont mind me coming back i will become a member once again when my paypal is set up. But anywayss.. I was wondering if anyone knows how to determine the caliber of musketballs? I have a dozen or so small musket balls dug from my area and i'd like to know what caliber they are and maybe what gun fired them to date the projectiles and the site im working at. I know calipers would work but i'm limited on funds and cannot afford them plus I dont trust them because not all musketballs are perfectly round. That is why im leaning towards a method I have heard of using a digital scale to weigh the round in grains or grams and convert that to caliber. Do any of you know how to do this properly? Thank You, JakeP
sry for disapearing but if u dont mind me coming back i will become a member once again when my paypal is set up. But anywayss.. I was wondering if anyone knows how to determine the caliber of musketballs? I have a dozen or so small musket balls dug from my area and i'd like to know what caliber they are and maybe what gun fired them to date the projectiles and the site im working at. I know calipers would work but i'm limited on funds and cannot afford them plus I dont trust them because not all musketballs are perfectly round. That is why im leaning towards a method I have heard of using a digital scale to weigh the round in grains or grams and convert that to caliber. Do any of you know how to do this properly? Thank You, JakeP

It's good to be back though. What you are saying makes sense and i know its only possible on round balls not conical projectiles, im assuming lead made hundreds of years ago is not that pure so it will probably be impossible by scale, only calipers.
Good hearing from you,got to be at least 3yr.'s.Best of Luck 






