How do you store your coinage?

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend of mine recently found some great silver underground and asked me a little about storage. Of course we have our normal lil round mylar cases....but it got me thinking.
At about the same time, my food vacuum sealer began to float around in my thoughts. By the end of that thought I had already snatched a coin from him(not worth much)that was already in a mylar case and vacuum sealed it. Of course I cut around the edges and made it neat afterwards, I'm just wondering if this will even help in the slightest degree?
Such expensive storage stuff online.....someday I will have it all. Until then though, gotta McGyver the hell out of stuff.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Materials not made specifically for coin storage often contain pvc and other chemicals that can damage coins. The little cardboard and mylar 2x2's are cheap, readily available and wont harm coins.

OP
OP
L

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your opinion is forever noted in ma brain. Thanks!!

millerb91

Jan 20, 2013
Yea I use coin bags to hold them until I get my coin slabs I get the slabs for about 4$ each....I know a guy.... But the bags I use are non pvc

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem with storing coins in food saver bags is you don't know what the end result will be. If you've paid $200 for a coin, why risk storing it in a manner that will devalue it to a $20 coin just because you don't want to spend $.50 or less on a proper holder?

The problem with improper storage methods is they might not show their damage for months or even years, so if you vacuum seal a test coin and leave it around for 6 months and obverse no negative change, that doesn't mean that it is safe.

Myself I store my coins in:

Cardboard 2x2s for the vast majority of my coins
Plastic (coin-safe) tubes for my silver bullion and common wheat cents
Paper envelopes for my ancient/medieval coins (they don't fit well in cardboard 2x2s, the tiny hammered pennies will slip out through the cracks, they aren't thick enough for things like tetradrachms and many others are irregularly shaped so they'll bounce around)
Ziploc bags for copper pennies (bullion)
A small wooden box for common Cu-ni foreign coins
A wooden slab box for my NGC/PCGS slabs

All these things (aside from my wooden box and slab holder) only cost a couple of cents per coin and are going to secure my coin not just from wear and dings but also from chemical damage.

Just spend the extra couple of cents and secure your coins in things that will not harm them rather than risking your entire collection in hopes of saving 50 cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions