What's new

how long...to fossilize

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
Joined
May 29, 2009
Messages
1,455
Reaction score
952
Golden Thread
0
Location
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
leaves? While digging out my pond I encountered two distinct clay layers. At about 5-6' in the 2nd layer the clay was dry and crumbly, or maybe softly brittle if that makes sense. I could break pieces of this stuff up by hand. Anyway exposed a couple leaf fragments and managed to salvage this.

DSC00326.webp DSC00327.webp

It's funny very near and at the surface there is totally petrified wood. Here are a few examples...

DSC00332.webp DSC00327.webp DSC00326.webp

this seems backwards to me...developing fossils deep and fossilized material coming out of the ground. ???

good luck in your fossil hunting all.

Bravo
 
I read somewhere that after the Mt St Helens eruptions, that the logs at the bottom of the lake below the mountain were already starting to fossilize. So I believe that the fosilization process may be a lot quicker than originally thought.
 
Actually, it can be a very quick process. There is a type of shellfish that sheds its shell underground. They fossilize shortly after, sometimes with that exact animal is still alive.
 
There seems to be endless misunderstanding about the term "fossilized."

"Fossilized" (along with "petrified") is a near meaningless term in this specialized forum. The term is often substituted for "mineralized" in describing a bone or tooth. But, fossilized doesn't always equate to mineralized because many fossils are not reinforced or replaced by minerals.

In the case of leaves and wood, as with bones, permineralization depends on the circulation of mineral-saturated groundwater. If there is limited or no circulation (or no suitable minerals in solution), then there is no permineralization. BUT, the organic remains - the leaves, or wood, or bone - are still fossils ("fossilized" if you like).
 
Makes you wonder doesnt it,a TREX skeleton,fossil,was found that still had some soft tissue attached to the fossilized bone.
 
Thank you Sir. I must apologize for my lack of education. When I was in school the term permineralization wasn't one that we saw or heard in science class. I must learn to be more specific in my queries.
 
I like your examples, Very nice! :thumbsup:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom