How many of these are Megaladon Teeth?

Alexander997

Jun 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
72F1573B-04B2-4D74-9359-03B634FAB03A.jpeg

Okay, so my dad’s friend works in Louisiana and knows I love history. He works for a company that builds solar panels and gets to play in the dirt, where he finds a lot of fossils and arrowheads. Occasionally, he’ll bring me a bag of teeth he’s found. My question is, how many of the above are megaladon teeth? How many are other types of sharks? I know very bottom left (biggest tooth pictured) is most definitely a megaladon tooth and I know the tiny black one is from a sand tiger shark.. But, what are the rest?

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 16

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great gift you got.
Your Dad is lucky to be able to play a little in the dirt.
The lower left certainly does look like one.
Kind of need a size reference.
This one looks big but a dime would just about cover it.
20211219_171200.jpg

OP
OP
A

Alexander997

Jun 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonder if the native tribes ever used shark teeth for arrow head points. Seems logical, seems it would be way less work than knapping an arrow head. Nice score!
I remember reading one time that the natives did use megaladon teeth! Makes sense and like you said, saves time compared to knapping a stone!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2051537

Okay, so my dad’s friend works in Louisiana and knows I love history. He works for a company that builds solar panels and gets to play in the dirt, where he finds a lot of fossils and arrowheads. Occasionally, he’ll bring me a bag of teeth he’s found. My question is, how many of the above are megaladon teeth? How many are other types of sharks? I know very bottom left (biggest tooth pictured) is most definitely a megaladon tooth and I know the tiny black one is from a sand tiger shark.. But, what are the rest?

Thanks in advance!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2051537

Thanks in advance!
Nice collection. Based on research I did on mine (see attached photo), and some others I've seen pics of, it's pretty safe to say "absolutely" to the bottom left. But you'd want some more expert opinion on that. The ID has a lot to do with the root shape and transition to tooth. Serrations on the tooth may play into that ID also. 20220815_094145[1].jpg 2022-08-15_09.44.32[1].jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2051537

Thanks in advance!
Top row, left to right...Meg, meg, angustiden, great white, great white. 2nd row... meg, tiger shark, meg, great white. Bottom...meg, meg, meg, great white. Cool finds.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You’re THE best!!

Thank you so much!! This helps so much!
The angustiden, fyi, lived about 33 to 22 mil years ago, and reached a length of up to 31 feet long. The meg, followed the angustiden, and lived from 23 to 2.5 mil years ago, much of that in direct competition with the great white. Megs reached 59 feet long, averaging 34 feet. This info comes from "Planet Shark Divers."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread