How much does the MXT weigh?

Born Free

Oct 27, 2007
Davenport, IA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm debating between getting an MXT or the Minelab 705. The 705 weighs 2.86 pounds which is apparently much lighter than MXT, but I can't find the info. So much to consider! ??? Anyone know what the MXT weighs? I'm a girl so a pound or two will make a big difference for me.

Thanks,
Born Free
Central Oregon

donj

Feb 13, 2011
southwestern, va.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors CoRe, garretts gti2500, gtp1350 minelab 30 whites coinmaster 3 and a DFX300.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MXT wieghs 4 lbs, Check kellyco detectors they have a compare detector feature check em all. Donj.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xterra is lighter than the mxt but if you put on one of the larger DD coils in replace of the stock coil it will feel bottom heavy and not as balanced, inotherwords heavier on the wrist which made me take breaks more often. The MXT weighs more but it is balanced out better due to the overall design of the unit. I have had both the xterra machine and now the MXT. Both are great and you will be happy with either one if you learn to use it. Tim

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
Get the better detector, the MXT, and use a swingy thingy. That is what I do. I made my own out of suspenders and a bungee cord. I can nugget shoot all day with the MXT weighing nothing and the MXT is a great nugget shooter. :icon_thumright:

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
arizonaames said:
Get the better detector, the MXT, and use a swingy thingy. That is what I do. I made my own out of suspenders and a bungee cord. I can nugget shoot all day with the MXT weighing nothing and the MXT is a great nugget shooter. :icon_thumright:

Hi arizonaames !

Glad you found a way to deal with the 4 pound weight ! :thumbsup:

Most modern detectors can hit on large nuggets if not too deep. But how good is the MXT on small nuggets and flake gold and at what depths ?

Below are examples of a few gold sizes for reference. These are nominal sizes only and derived by dividing the mesh size into 1. Example : mesh size 4 = 1/4 = .250". I know this method is probably not theoretically correct by serious prospector's standards, but should suffice for my purposes here.

Gold nuggets, large, 4 mesh (.250") to 6 mesh (.167")
Gold nuggets, small, 12 mesh (.083") to 16 mesh (.062")
Gold flake, various sizes, 18 mesh (.056") to 30 mesh (.033")

I'm asking this to gage the ability of the MXT to find natural gold and the only criterion I want to address at this time is mesh-size and depth. In a more extensive research project (which this is definitely not) I realize there would be many other factors to consider, not the least of which would be the type and amount of mineralization in the area being searched.

Thanks for your help on my questions.

ToddB64

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread