Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are pulling these things out of rolls by all means save them - no downside as they will always be worth at least 0.50 and folks will prob pay a bit more for the novelty. No one is saying that is foolish or dishonest. As the previous poster said he can sell them for a buck on ebay. Thats a mice return if your getting them for 0.50 - that's awesome. I think most of us are just against the companies that use deceptive marketing when the are originally selling these things for way above face value (if the coins have one).

How do you think they end up in circulation? Some poor person thinks they are getting a good deal on real solid gold and buys a bunch of these things. Gold goes up a lot so he figures he will go to his local coin dealer and make a bundle. dealer says - buddy you got scammed these things are worthless (or worth no more than face if it's on a real coin). Poor guy loses a bunch of money he probably couldn't afford to lose. Dumps them into circulation so he has no reminder of his big mistake.

Happens all the time and we all have a responsibility to try and educate folks before they get scammed.

Buying and selling these things when both parties know exactly what they are doing/getting - absolutely no problem.

EXACTLY. That's what I hate about the TV scammers. What you said, Easy, I'm perfectly okay with; it's the people that try to pass them off as real solid gold coins. Here's a real life story about a guy who bought over $47,000 in stuff over a span of 25 years from the Franklin Mint, a "reputable" coin seller.

Coin purchases don

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rule number 1 - something new marketed as a "collectible" is never a collectible.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold plated buffalo is advertised as gold clad. Most people don't know what clad is unless they are a CRH/coin collector or work with metals, so they assume it's real gold.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold plated buffalo is advertised as gold clad. Most people don't know what clad is unless they are a CRH/coin collector or work with metals, so they assume it's real gold.

Right. They say it, but they do it in such a manner, and don't explain, so you are tricked into thinking you got the deal of the century, when in all actuality, you are the butt of the company's jokes. They say it, but Average Joe's grandma and grandpa don't know the difference, and waste their money. It makes me feel bad for old people (or any of the people) that get swindled.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are pulling these things out of rolls by all means save them - no downside as they will always be worth at least 0.50 and folks will prob pay a bit more for the novelty. No one is saying that is foolish or dishonest. As the previous poster said he can sell them for a buck on ebay. Thats a mice return if your getting them for 0.50 - that's awesome. I think most of us are just against the companies that use deceptive marketing when the are originally selling these things for way above face value (if the coins have one).

How do you think they end up in circulation? Some poor person thinks they are getting a good deal on real solid gold and buys a bunch of these things. Gold goes up a lot so he figures he will go to his local coin dealer and make a bundle. dealer says - buddy you got scammed these things are worthless (or worth no more than face if it's on a real coin). Poor guy loses a bunch of money he could probably could i'll afford to lose. Dumps them into circulation so he has no reminder of his big mistake.

Happens all the time and we all have a responsibility to try and educate folks before they get scammed.

Buying and selling these things when both parties know exactly what they are doing/getting - absolutely no problem.
Well said
EXACTLY. That's what I hate about the TV scammers. What you said, Easy, I'm perfectly okay with; it's the people that try to pass them off as real solid gold coins. Here's a real life story about a guy who bought over $47,000 in stuff over a span of 25 years from the Franklin Mint, a "reputable" coin seller.

Coin purchases don

Ouch!!!!! Yes this is a crying shame. But while I feel bad for the guy at the end of the day the guy fell for it. Nobody held a gun to his head.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread