How much gold?

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok this is a dumb question but i have been getting a LOT of gold plated halves lately. I know they are sold for about 6-7 bucks from the mints but does anybody know exactly the weight of the plating? it is after all 24k. i was thinking if you had enough of them it might be worth while? like i said it was a dumb ?:tongue3:

Upvote 0

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
Easy said:
Ok this is a dumb question but i have been getting a LOT of gold plated halves lately. I know they are sold for about 6-7 bucks from the mints but does anybody know exactly the weight of the plating? it is after all 24k. i was thinking if you had enough of them it might be worth while? like i said it was a dumb ?:tongue3:

You might be able to trick some clad lovers on eBay into buying them dawg

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

1971 Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Plated Coin | eBay

Not worth much to this person, but brought more than FV.

But there isn't much gold on it.
Here's some proof for you, with the value of one of the "gold" coins on TV.
Straight from coinflation.com
View attachment 693963

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I never seen that on coinflation before. Good knowledge. So they got .75 worth of gold. Good to know!

Yeah, the coin that is in question is in an ad that says it has a book value of "$49.99" but they are liquidating some of their gold coins for the "low low low price of $9.95".

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is the coin? Should be about the same amount of gold plating as the Kennedy half if its the same size. I'm gonna save up a hundred of these things and sell it to some tool as " a pile of real gold coins" , watch. Lol

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is the coin? Should be about the same amount of gold plating as the Kennedy half if its the same size. I'm gonna save up a hundred of these things and sell it to some tool as " a pile of real gold coins" , watch. Lol

That would be dishonest and then you'd be the "tool".

Last edited:

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
platedKen2.jpg maybe this will help

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those types of coins have a few MICRONS thick coating of gold - thinner than a human hair. Those coins are complete scams - they want folks to think they are solid gold. My favorite is the fake of the gold buffalo coin - cant believe they can legally get away with this. It would cost more to get the tiny tiny amount of gold off the coin than the gold itself is worth. Stay away!! These coins are and will always be worth nothing. No offense meant by my bluntness, but these things really get my goat. Hopes this helps.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1971 Kennedy Half Dollar Gold Plated Coin | eBay

Not worth much to this person, but brought more than FV.

But there isn't much gold on it.
Here's some proof for you, with the value of one of the "gold" coins on TV.
Straight from coinflation.com
View attachment 693963

Those types of coins have a few MICRONS thick coating of gold - thinner than a human hair. Those coins are complete scams - they want folks to think they are solid gold. My favorite is the fake of the gold buffalo coin - cant believe they can legally get away with this. It would cost more to get the tiny tiny amount of gold off the coin than the gold itself is worth. Stay away!! These coins are and will always be worth nothing. No offense meant by my bluntness, but these things really get my goat. Hopes this helps.

See above. .75 cents worth of gold.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Okay, well there is (today 77 cents) worth of gold on the buffalo coins, and if we divide that by the price of an ounce of gold, then they can make almost 2,222 of those coins using just one ounce of gold. That means that the scammers only have to invest $1,710.70 for the potential profit of $22,108.90!!!! That's ridiculous. (And if my math calculations are wrong, sorry. I suck at math.)

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be dishonest and then you'd be the "tool".

I BEG your pardon???.

Item title says " pile of gold coins" picture shows ACTUAL gold plated coins. Detailed item description clearly states coins are chipped, circulated and ONLY gold plated. Then I let the " tools" bid on it. How in the he double hockey sticks does that make me a tool? I cheat no one and make a profit doing so. How is this wrong?
Sorry buddy but you sound like you should just take another sip of your HATERADE(ERRRRRR GATORADE!) and move along.

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks right to me, though you do have manufacturing costs. Again, these are complete scams so stay away.

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, well there is (today 77 cents) worth of gold on the buffalo coins, and if we divide that by the price of an ounce of gold, then they can make almost 2,222 of those coins using just one ounce of gold. That means that the scammers only have to invest $1,710.70 for the potential profit of $22,108.90!!!! That's ridiculous. (And if my math calculations are wrong, sorry. I suck at math.)

Don't worry Darwin will weed the people out that originally bought them. At the end of the day I have it for .50 and its worth .50 plus .77 in gold. All nay-sayers(haters) can say what they want I never cheat anyone.

Anybody ant to buy .77 worth of gold?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't worry Darwin will weed the people out that originally bought them. At the end of the day I have it for .50 and its worth .50 plus .77 in gold. All nay-sayers(haters) can say what they want I never cheat anyone.

Anybody ant to buy .77 worth of gold?

The difference in your theoretical posting and the scam ads on TV are that the ads on TV DON'T stress the point of gold "PLATED". They just say gold and kinda tip-toe over the 'plated' part. If you clearly post "circulated" gold-plated coins, I don't see that you're in the wrong. It's like the people that put "circulated OLD Eisenhower Silver Dollars!" and they are just the clad ones. That's just me though, and how I feel. I'm not mad, or trying to be hostile, or insult anyone and/or their business, that's just how I see it. And if you disagree, that's okay. We can have a civil conversation about it. :)

OP
OP
Easy

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference in your theoretical posting and the scam ads on TV are that the ads on TV DON'T stress the point of gold "PLATED". They just say gold and kinda tip-toe over the 'plated' part. If you clearly post "circulated" gold-plated coins, I don't see that you're in the wrong. It's like the people that put "circulated OLD Eisenhower Silver Dollars!" and they are just the clad ones. That's just me though, and how I feel. I'm not mad, or trying to be hostile, or insult anyone and/or their business, that's just how I see it. And if you disagree, that's okay. We can have a civil conversation about it. :)

Zactly...it's all about how you portrait it. I guarantee one thing my ebay listing will be A HELL OF A LOT more honest then the advertisement or infomercial that they were originally sold from. If someone not saying you Boris has something to say. Why don't they comment on those well know obvious scams before judging me ( whom you don't know very well) ? Hmm? Or we're you just bored and looking to start stuff ?

Last edited:

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold 35 of them on eBay for $1.00 each. Of course after the fees that is more like $0.85 each...

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are pulling these things out of rolls by all means save them - no downside as they will always be worth at least 0.50 and folks will prob pay a bit more for the novelty. No one is saying that is foolish or dishonest. As the previous poster said he can sell them for a buck on ebay. Thats a mice return if your getting them for 0.50 - that's awesome. I think most of us are just against the companies that use deceptive marketing when the are originally selling these things for way above face value (if the coins have one).

How do you think they end up in circulation? Some poor person thinks they are getting a good deal on real solid gold and buys a bunch of these things. Gold goes up a lot so he figures he will go to his local coin dealer and make a bundle. dealer says - buddy you got scammed these things are worthless (or worth no more than face if it's on a real coin). Poor guy loses a bunch of money he could probably could i'll afford to lose. Dumps them into circulation so he has no reminder of his big mistake.

Happens all the time and we all have a responsibility to try and educate folks before they get scammed.

Buying and selling these things when both parties know exactly what they are doing/getting - absolutely no problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions