How much is too much?

konnon6

Feb 13, 2007
Detector(s) used
homemade/whites DFX/MinlabGP3000/Garret 250
I can't help but laugh at these guys with all the latest tools and gagets and some guy comes along with a toys are us special and outdoes him.And the guy that carrys all his stuff with him.You know the type.he's got coin cleaner,a brush,sunscreen,toilet paper,7 water bottles,a small pick,and about 35 lbs of other stuff,and he's hunting
about 35 feet from his car!And I love it when the guy spends all day digging this big hole, just to find out its a beercan.We all have done that, but then we learn and move on and don't do it anymore!
Think!Do I need all this stuff or can I keep it in my car and get it when I need it.This is to have fun, not to be a pack mule!The most
important thing is common sense.Have fun out there first.

Jeff G

Nov 5, 2006
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic II
Come on--the guys were just getting carried away. It was funny.

I'm the newbie. Here is what I will carry. My digging trowel, probes, knife, dirt cloth, bottle of water, padded goodie bottle, knee pads(wear), mechanics magnet(test for iron, size of a pencil). Everything fits in my belt bag with room to spare. It weighs very little.

In the truck, small folding shovel, sand scoop, relief bottle, first aid kit, etc. Snacks if I am away from home--it's cheaper than eating out.

i did get a kick out of some of the suggestions and I have to admit the kneeling pad might replace the knee pads.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mule. . .

Now thats an idea. . . . ;D

moonshine

Dec 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di/Pro, E-Trac
the important thing is, if someone is having a good time, then so be it. ;)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$150 radio shack detector, $10 digger from target, carpenter pouch by black and decker, one western belt for pouch, $20 radio shack headphones, smokes, lighter and cell phone...if it says dime and pinpoints bigger than a $1 coin I leave it....unless I am after relics too......if it's not in the plug then it stays in the ground....

p.s. no TP for me. I always wear long soncks ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry everything I will ever need for the rest of my life in the back of my Durango. Then when I need it I am always a half mile from the car! I started out wearing kneepads but soon learned they hampered my walking and invariably slid down to about mid-calf after a few digs. Tip: Now I carry a small gardner's knee pad that is light weight and water proof to keep my knees from being cut up and getting wet when I dig. It is very light weight and has a loop on one end that I hook over the handle of my digging tool and it's always there when I need it. Beats knee pads all to heck. Monty

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
I carry or have on basically what I feel I will need for the hunt. In general, that involves my knee pad, my digging shovel, a magnifying glass, gloves and my on the cheap method of collecting clad.......a fruit of the loom sock. In my pocket a pack of smokes & lighter and in my backpack which I usually dump on the ground but never leave it too far, a bottle of soda, some snacks and extra batteries. This year I think I'll start carrying a bottle of water to wash my hands. It can be a little embarassing going to the store for a pack of smokes with dusty, soil covered hands. This reminds me of a few times where I have seen guys walking around with 4 or 5 rods with different setups shore fishing the lake for LM Bass here in NYC. I've yet to see them do any better. Many times I go in there with just a few stick-o's in green or brown with my buddy who loves the tubes and pull the slobs out anyways.

T

TreasureTales

Usually I strap my frig to the top of the truck - just in case I get hungry. And I have a small set washer and dryer in the back so I can wash my clothes before I get home. The only thing I wished I had with me last time was a 12 foot ladder so I could detect all the way up a madrone tree. But other than the ladder, I think I got it all worked out now so that I'm never without whatever I need.

Seriously, though, does it matter if someone is a minimalist and someone is a gadget guy when all any of us are trying to do is have some fun? I say it doesn't hurt any if somebody wants more stuff than me.

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
Hey, I am waiting for the day I can afford all the new toys and tools out there! It is not out of a desire to have more then anyone else, it is because I like toys. Then if I could afford a few porters to carry everything, I would never be more then a few feet from what ever I might want to play with. For a while I thought it would be fun to have someone say "what a great find boss" with everything dug up. But that might be over kill.

Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread