What's new

How not to buy and sell indian artifacts

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2008
Messages
1,487
Reaction score
34
Golden Thread
0
http://www.nwcn.com/topstories/stories/NW_071509WAB-puyallup-tribe-auction-TP.443fb476.html

"Puyallup Tribe mementos go on the auction block in Tacoma Monday, but the granddaughter of a former tribal leader wants it stopped.

She says the items were stolen from the attic of her home."

It goes on further to say what the dear has to say about the items, and what was said at the time he supposedly purchased them.
The person purchasing them might be able to sue this guy for fraud. Risky games that dealer is playing!
 
:angry4: I hope the tribal council nails this guys a$$ to the wall an they can some how get everything back to its rightful owner.
 
Karma, dudes,.... Karma will rot that guys legs off, or some such equally horrible way to go, and the sooner the better.... >:(
 
Tank69, glad you side with the tribal council.

This is to inform you that you too will turn over to me (or any of my representatives in Sacramento, or Washington DC) all such USA coins you find, that my kinfolk lost too. Me and my European ancestors have deep-rooted beliefs and such that all our OUR property (merc and barber dimes lost by those that preceded me in death) all belong to me/us, the decendants of those predecessors. So please do the right thing and return them. I accept paypal ;D
 
“What I bought is free of all encumbrances,” said Alan Gorsuch, owner of Sanford and Sons Auction House.

He said an individual came to him two months ago with the items for sale.

“He told me that the person that actually owned this stuff was 92-years-old and was dispersing the stuff as she lived and that his parents were the executors of her will and I asked also why the tribe didn’t have any interest in this, and I was told that the tribe had already gotten a lot of the stuff,” said Gorsuch.
----------------------------------
Any one see the real problem with this statement??

The will is worthless as a right to sell if they guy was alive for the first part.
His parents are the executors as the second part.
Its not the parents doing the sale! Some person claiming to be the child of said executors. No right to tile by seller, just due the purchasers statement.
Such BS is always questionable.
 
Some times I suspect that items in someones possession are not what they seem to be. I wonder how did they acquire them. Are they genuine. If I have any questions in my mind as to what is being offered and original ownership and rights to sell then, then I will at least pass on the idea of receiving such items.

I might get into a general conversation as to antiquities of such items and the possibility that these items might be better off in a museum. I am carefull as to keeping the conversation light and extremely general as to not raise any suspicion as to my motivation for knowledge on the subject.
 
Yes feeling out a seller is a good thing.

This mess right from the beginning said WRONG. The family member of a family supposedly having the executor privilege???
Way to far removed from the owner. A dead giveaway some thing is way wrong.

Seamuss said:
Some times I suspect that items in someones possession are not what they seem to be. I wonder how did they acquire them. Are they genuine. If I have any questions in my mind as to what is being offered and original ownership and rights to sell then, then I will at least pass on the idea of receiving such items.

I might get into a general conversation as to antiquities of such items and the possibility that these items might be better off in a museum. I am carefull as to keeping the conversation light and extremely general as to not raise any suspicion as to my motivation for knowledge on the subject.
 
sorry Tom_in_CA I see a real differance in finding something artifact or not, an items that were stolen from the attic of tribal elder .Items stolen from your home an found metal detecting are two different things in my eyes Maybe thats just the Native American in me.
 
Tank, I didn't read the story carefully, to see that ..... in this case .... it was stolen things. Well in that case, race becomes a mute point, as there are laws for anyone/everyone re.: stealing. I thought the story was about indian relics in general. Because there are some indian activists who, believe it or not, have some "cultural" thing that ANYTHING native american belongs to them. Ie.: NOTHING should be in museums, private collections, etc... For example, I used to work as a docent at a museum near me. They had to take things like indian baskets out of the display cabinets, and put them in cold storage. We were told, that if anyone came in asking if there any indian items at this museum, to answer "no". When I asked the head curator lady "why?" she said that there had been some indian activists going museum to museum, and "demanding" that these indian historical items be "returned" to their tribe. And somehow, it was legally being upheld! So rather than risk stuff like that, this particular museum removed those items from display.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom