how to chase storge lockers

OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
OP
OP
scrounger d detector collector
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
Marty-Graw said:
i have bought several of these units before sometimes the owners will change the locks before you get there and open them with their key and others (the ones i like) will cut the original lock off with bolt cutters......you can look in, shine a light, and hope for the best.....some folks dont like not being able to dig before bidding but i think if nobody digs then everyone has the same chance......i bought 2 units one time for $10 and $20......took a lot of things out that i wanted and sold the rest for $170 to a woman setting up a household ...bought another one for $20 and opened a box that had nearly 200 hotwheel cars (newer ones) still in the packs....sold most of them for $1 each at the flea market......you CAN make money at this......some people make a good living doing it.....just keep an eye on the legal section of the classifieds and go have some very profitable fun
the place i was looking about on these was near the big city.chicagoland. i think the cheapest one went for 120. many were in the 180 range. there was no way i was gonna spend that kinda dough to see what.s in there. seems like the lower price would keep fraud down too. like it aint worth the storage co's time to fill a unit w crap in boxes and auction it.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I put in very long hours and most of it is spent sitting at a computer and waiting so I have time to make you guys nuts is all! :wink:

I have seen units go for as little as $5 and as much as $2,300

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Cynangyl said:
I have seen units go for as little as $5 and as much as $2,300

right......on average the units go anywhere from $100 - $300......but they are in all price ranges...depends on how many people show up and how bad they want it

Cynangyl said:
I think since the owners are able to show up even right up to when the auction starts to pay on a unit and keep it around here keeps the folks at the storage units a bit more honest as far as going in and taking items before the auction. The large part of what my friends have in their second hand store is from storage auctions and they also keep a list of things folks are looking for so if they see those items in a unit then they know they have atleast a part of the unit sold already. They do very well with it and we have a great time as well!

right same as here....they have until auction time to redeem the delinquent storage fee and if anything was missing they could have the building owners arrested for theft....if they can prove it

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scrounger said:
Smoked Bacon Sweater Vest Elf said:
scrounger said:
theres a person i met in a detector club thats always bragging about huge deals he got going to storage locker auctions. anybody here doing this? i tried to go to a couple a few yrs ago to see how its done. but there rule was u cant touch anything only look. are they all like this? how can u bid properly on boxes u cant look in.? or maybe theperson successful at this is smart enuf to know to give a little bribe to get a better look?
the owner/s (around here) will usually pick threw and get the valuable item for themselves (good stuff)
i did get a almost new/mint Marlboro hiking pack for 7 bucks got home it had 350 pennies in it ;D
so what yur saying there ELF, is that usually the locker rental company go thru the stuff first. anything highly liquid dissappears instantly. like cash,obvious gold or silver jewelry and especially coin collections. that would make a lot of sense.unreported income for the owners.
Yes

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
In my neck of the woods, there is a website we can go to that lists all the auctions in our area, storage units and regular auctions....from what I have seen of the site it also lists in everystate...auctionzip.com...
Go to the site and register, it's free, and type in your zip and how far you would go, miles...I went to my first last week and had a ball, just watching the folks bid...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if one can see a bit --one can thru comman sense generally tell the higher dollar income type storage units from the lower income junk bin ones --- although once in a while there a sleeper item or two in so otherwize useless junk bin storage units

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...auctionzip.com...

That was a question I had about storage locker auctions, where do you find out about this type of auction? I have never seen one listed around my area or heard of someone going to one. Thanks for the auction zip info, anybody else have suggestions? I wonder if contacting all the storage unit places directly would work?

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
In Florida, they are listed in the legals section of the newspaper. I also use a website that lists all the public notices of all the newspapers in the state and I can search by keyword

P

pippinwhitepaws

arizona is required to list in legals section of the paper...

go to the storage places and inquire...find out who is doing the auctions...there is a list somewhere.
good luck..

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen said:
around here they post the auctions in the local newspaper,
but by the time the paper arrives, the auctions are over...
I wonder if it is placed late on purpose just to eliminate a lot of bidding competition. :icon_pirat:

Midnightrider08

Mar 9, 2008
Northern Vt Border
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
I went to some storage unit auctions this past thursday and won a Unit .

I won it by accident as I put my high bid on my 3rd favorite and not my 1st favorite ... I simply screwed up ... So I ended up paying $150 for what could have been a nightmare. I found some tools and some other good finds. Will make my money back and then plenty I hope.

There was more people then I expected for 13 advertised units. By auction time there were only 9 units and over 2 dozen people.

I will try to post some pics of my finds .

Attachments

• Picture063.jpg
    Picture063.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 774

handy

Mar 11, 2008
nw pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 11
i went to one about a month ago and they sold everything piece by piece it took forever and was cold and raining and there was about 75 people there:( ended up getting nothing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread