HOW TO MAKE ...SNAKE CHAPS??

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....In search of a Lost Battlefield and the area has grass and weeds waist high.....could run into some rattlesnakes......I probably should just buy some snake chaps but my budget is very tight right now....and this is Not my Normal type of hunting ....so only need them for a day or two......I was thinking of using Heavy Cardboard going from my boots to about knee high and wrapped good with either Duct tape or Heavy Duty Adhesive tape ...could also use some flexible plastic that is bite resistant.....any comments would be appreciated......last hunt some showed up with snake bite proof boots and some had the snake chaps.....other wore shorts and sandals.......LOL.....basically this may all be overkill.........I have always been told if you make a lot of racket plus probe the area ahead of you with a staff or stick ....most critters will run......still would appreciate any comments .....Joe

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Lol ! Duct tape does wonders my friend ! Welcome from one Texan to another. ;)

Rig em up ! hehehe :laughing9: :laughing9:

OP
OP
J

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....So this wasn't a Crazy Idea??......Joe

txconservative

Jul 26, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350 / Cobra Beach Magnet / Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Not at all....Hell I wouldn't take the risk and be bitten by one of them.....Or you could wait til it cools off more, and make it out....The snakes tend to hibernate when it's cold....Do whatever you wanna....Maybe you could get you some iron leg shields? LOL. :P

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
before I bought my chaps I used that black coragated plastic drainage pipe just cut it lengthwise and put them over my calves then duck taped them in place they last several hours just carry some tape to repair them if the tape breaks.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bass Pro Shop has a fine pair of knee high, water proof snake boots for $100. Consider that a one time, life long investment.

Supposedly, rattlers will run away from you if you make some noise ahead of time. BUT, what about that one who thinks he's cornered and has to fight...................errr BITE. It only takes one and the cost of having a snake bite treated and the loss of work time would run a lot more than $100. Think of it as an insurance policy.

dld

Apr 21, 2010
NE Fla
Detector(s) used
ace 250, BHID, Explorer SE Pro, Omega 8000
Joe(TX) said:
still would appreciate any comments .....Joe

what ever you come up with take a ice pick and stab it hard, if it penetrates so will a snakes fangs
Good Luck or wait for winter :thumbsup:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you could buy a pair of linesman boots, kind of expensive, but cheaper than a trip to the ER

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Joe, years ago my Dad and I were going to hunt a huge field that had a log cabin
with high weeds inside and out. I brought some waxed cardboard to tape around
our lower legs. Never saw a snake but I don't think fangs would penetrate them.
I took along a .38 revolver just in case.

B

Bev

I'm so glad we have no poisonous snakes around here! I saw a foot long garden snake yesterday but they don't bother me. They sell kevlar inserts at motorcycles shops for road rash protection, maybe you could have someone sew some velcro on them?

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

I sell products and do have snake chaps but not in stock. You can find some on ebay for like $65 as well.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I.... don't..... know..... if you want to TEST the cardboard against a pit viper, I'll let you.... and I'll watch. If you don't lose your leg..... no, I'll just spend the $100 bucks, thank you. TTC

BubbaJon

Greenie
Nov 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
txconservative said:
....and possibly a pistol !
+1 - I carry one of those itty bitty Freedom Arms 22 LR pistols with the snake shot cartridges. Small enough to pack & not advertise you're packing - important in some locations. I would like to emphasize that most snakes are NOT interested in you - you're way too big to eat. Just backing off or waiting a sec and the snake will leave or you can get out of range. Poke with a long stick if they're where you want to hunt. If you get bitten however shoot the thing so you can positive ID when getting medical attention. That being said I've been around poisonous snakes since I was a little guy and even hunted them for an outfit in NC - only one snake species that I worry about and that is cottonmouths. They just don't like people and will instigate an attack. No other snake I've encountered will do that. So remember that snakes are usually your friends and give them a chance to get away or leave them be in peace.
Jon

BubbaJon

Greenie
Nov 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
dld said:
Joe(TX) said:
still would appreciate any comments .....Joe

what ever you come up with take a ice pick and stab it hard, if it penetrates so will a snakes fangs
Good Luck or wait for winter :thumbsup:
Think about that - a snake only has so much weight and that weight + strike speed is the only thing to get those fans through material. So I wouldn't say *hard* - a moderate push would tell the tale. I would not trust those cheap motorcycle chaps - they are for abrasive protection - not punctures. I think that any tack store has the calf chaps that are pretty heavy duty.

B

BIG61AL

I think if you need snake proof boot or chaps you may want to concider browsing a hunting catalogue and get a pair that you know will protect you instaed of maybe protecting you. The first time you get bit and the protection works it will be worth ten times what you paid for them.

Attachments

• giant-rattlesnake.jpg
    giant-rattlesnake.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 2,231

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BubbaJon:
There's a type of rattlesnake (I think it is a Timberrattler) that strikes with enough force that it can break the femur bone of a grown man. I think striking power of a large rattler is enough to push a hypodermic needle through a sheet of waxed cardboard rather easily. I'd pay the $100 for those snake boots and wear them for many years to spread out the cost per year factor. But, getting hit just once would be enough.

Lastleg:
You can buy some .38 cal snake loads for you pistol that beats the heck out of the smaller .22 cal shots. Those .22 cal loads are actually RAT shot and not snake shot. Those would probably just p---off a big ole rattler. I KNOW it would make a cottonmouth even MORE p-----. Like the other poster wrote, Cottonmouth Moccasins are naturally bad tempered. They will not back down from humans.........especially when they're on the hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread