OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Had to look that one up, but, yes, we currently have 16 ponds and 8 rivers that they've invaded. No stopping them once they get established. Definitely bad news for the native clams here.
they have taken over where I am. the funny thing is these are the clams you get in a restaurant but since they are an invasive species the limit is 40 per day. It takes me about 10-15 minutes to dig my limit.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
....I was wearing "grunge" clothes my entire life.... still do....

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing is for certain. It has been pointed out to me dozens of times by complete strangers over the last 19 years. I am not from around here. ( Not only a display of the speaker's profound intelligence, but read that: I am somehow a lesser one ).

What makes a native? Having the misfortune to be born in such a place?

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
One thing is for certain. It has been pointed out to me dozens of times by complete strangers over the last 19 years. I am not from around here. ( Not only a display of the speaker's profound intelligence, but read that: I am somehow a lesser one ).

What makes a native? Having the misfortune to be born in such a place?
yep, when you are raised in a place and at a certain time, it is easy to resent change... or at least laugh and point it out

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
A New York license plate on a vanity pick-up truck
just what is a vanity pick up? i know a guy that bought a shelby cobra pick up... does that count?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Florida, if they are walking around looking like baked lobster they are a tourist, not a Florida native.

We can spot the Floridians up here in the summer because their faces look like an old catcher's mitt! Similar to this handsome devil! Lol!

keith.jpg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A creek or crick is called a branch here. Any red colored bird is a red bird. Any yellow colored bird a yellow bird, etc. Perch are called trout. Lightening storms follow rivers, and come back around. An oyster roast is when you start a fire in a discarded 55 gallon drum, toss a sheet of rusty galvanized corrugated roofing over it, and then dump a bushel of oysters on that. You stand around sweating and drinking beer until the oysters pop open, all the while feeding the swarms of mosquitos and batting away gnats. Once you get past the smell of the hot pluff mud ( a layer of biologically active thigh-deep black muck found in the marshes and oyster beds ) they are very tasty, and generally won't make you throw up until 4 in the morning.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can spot the Floridians up here in the summer because their faces look like an old catcher's mitt! Similar to this handsome devil! Lol!

View attachment 2074195
Most Florida natives use sunscreen, wear hats and SPF shirts. I bathe in sun screen, wear long pants and long sleeves shirts rated SPF 40 and 50, and I wear hat with neck scarf when I am detecting or fishing.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah we got that Duke's here in the middle of the Rockies, and it sells pretty good, locals and tourists alike. Best way to spot a non-native up here is the red tag on their vehicle, which means a rental. Better way is when they pass out and hit the ground due to the altitude, which I've seen a few times.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Florida natives use sunscreen, wear hats and SPF shirts. I bathe in sun screen, wear long pants and long sleeves shirts rated SPF 40 and 50, and I wear hat with neck scarf when I am detecting or fishing.

The Floridians who come up here must have waited too long to start applying suncreen! The ones I see stick out like a sore thumb. Not many people up here have serious sun damage, since we only go to the beach three or four months of the year.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Floridians who come up here must have waited too long to start applying suncreen! The ones I see stick out like a sore thumb. Not many people up here have serious sun damage, since we only go to the beach three or four months of the year.
Must be transplants...🤣

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
In North Atlanta there are virtually no natives, or they are very rare.
...sad to say the same is true for Seattle. It used to be a working class union town....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread