How to tell aluminum from zinc?

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zinc is 3 times heavier then aluminum by volume. If you break it, it should look grainy. If it's aluminum, it usually bends (if its not cast). If it's zinc, it breaks.

If you plan on scrapping them, you will probably get the same price no matter what. My scrap yard just has one price for cast aluminum, it just needs to be clean, otherwise it is breakage.

OP
OP
Z

Zephyr

Nov 26, 2006
I put some concentrated crystal Drano on the bare metal surfaces & it seemed to work. Aluminum turned black & zinc didn't. It has to sit for a few minutes, and needs to be rinsed off afterwards. I'd only use this method as a last resort, as playing with Drano is a nasty business (Heed the warning labels!)
Hope this is of some help to others.... :thumbsup:

theirratonalist

Nov 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zephyr said:
I put some concentrated crystal Drano on the bare metal surfaces & it seemed to work. Aluminum turned black & zinc didn't. It has to sit for a few minutes, and needs to be rinsed off afterwards. I'd only use this method as a last resort, as playing with Drano is a nasty business (Heed the warning labels!)
Hope this is of some help to others.... :thumbsup:

Ah! Chemistry is a scrappers best friend... Well, that and a sawzall.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pepperj said:
It's been a few years now, but I recall that if you file the metal and put vinegar on the zinc it'll foam up a bit. On the aluminium the vinegar will stay clear.
That's how my grandfather used to test. Think it's the best least expensive way.

WAres

Apr 30, 2011
Puyallup, WA
if you cant tell by looking at it you better get some acid, zincs turns yellow, aluminum stays clear, die cast turns black

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread