What's new

Scrap metal prices right now: what yards are paying for copper, aluminum, and steel

KyleStar

Greenie
Joined
Sep 30, 2026
Messages
10
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been hauling to two different yards the last couple of weeks and comparing notes with other scrappers online, so here is where scrap metal prices stand heading into October 2026, plus the habits that keep your payout honest. When I lived in Colombia, the local metal buyers repriced everything off the day's rate, and honestly it is the same game here, just with a bigger board.

Copper is still the headliner. Bare bright pays the most, then #1, then #2, then insulated wire, and the spread between grades is where the money is. A bucket of mixed copper prices out at the worst grade in it, so sort at home, not in the yard parking lot. And if the wire is thin, like lamp cord or Christmas lights, the labor to strip it almost never pays. Do the math before you reach for the stripper.

Aluminum is a volume game: cans, siding, cast, extrusions, all priced differently, and anything painted or dirty drops you a tier. Keep a magnet in your pocket. If it sticks, it is steel and it does not belong in the nonferrous bucket. Mixing one steel bracket into a load of clean aluminum is the fastest way to lose money on a ticket.

A few habits that actually move the number. Call ahead, because the board price and the phone price are sometimes different, especially on nonferrous. Ask whether the quote is for clean or dirty material before they dump your bucket. Bring ID, since most states require it for nonferrous sales now. And read the ticket before you sign it.

Curious what everyone else is seeing this week. Are your local numbers lining up with this, or is your region running hot or cold?

Steel and iron are heavy and cheap, priced by the ton, not the pound. A junk car is mostly steel, which is why cars get priced by weight. This fall most US yards are paying roughly $140 to $200 a ton for a complete car, which is how a typical sedan lands in that familiar $250 to $750 range. If cars are your main scrap source, here is a solid breakdown of how junkyards price cars.
 
Very TRUE words ! Back in the 60s and 70s I ran a weld & fabrication shop and ALL my scrape went into separated bins and I turned them in at-least once a year ! The dealers WILL TRY to put it to you IF you don't watch them and keep close eye on your amounts and the day rate for each metal ! GOOD POST KyleStar !
 
I've been hauling to two different yards the last couple of weeks and comparing notes with other scrappers online, so here is where scrap metal prices stand heading into October 2026, plus the habits that keep your payout honest. When I lived in Colombia, the local metal buyers repriced everything off the day's rate, and honestly it is the same game here, just with a bigger board.

Copper is still the headliner. Bare bright pays the most, then #1, then #2, then insulated wire, and the spread between grades is where the money is. A bucket of mixed copper prices out at the worst grade in it, so sort at home, not in the yard parking lot. And if the wire is thin, like lamp cord or Christmas lights, the labor to strip it almost never pays. Do the math before you reach for the stripper.

Aluminum is a volume game: cans, siding, cast, extrusions, all priced differently, and anything painted or dirty drops you a tier. Keep a magnet in your pocket. If it sticks, it is steel and it does not belong in the nonferrous bucket. Mixing one steel bracket into a load of clean aluminum is the fastest way to lose money on a ticket.

A few habits that actually move the number. Call ahead, because the board price and the phone price are sometimes different, especially on nonferrous. Ask whether the quote is for clean or dirty material before they dump your bucket. Bring ID, since most states require it for nonferrous sales now. And read the ticket before you sign it.

Curious what everyone else is seeing this week. Are your local numbers lining up with this, or is your region running hot or cold?

Steel and iron are heavy and cheap, priced by the ton, not the pound. A junk car is mostly steel, which is why cars get priced by weight. This fall most US yards are paying roughly $140 to $200 a ton for a complete car, which is how a typical sedan lands in that familiar $250 to $750 range. If cars are your main scrap source, here is a solid breakdown of how junkyards price cars.
Pricing for scrap in Toronto Ontario as of this morning-posted online. Unless a person has a large quantity the prices stated are fixed. Prices is in Canadian $
Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 4.59.06 AM 1.webp
Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 5.00.14 AM.webp
Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 5.01.22 AM.webp
 
I've been hauling to two different yards the last couple of weeks and comparing notes with other scrappers online, so here is where scrap metal prices stand heading into October 2026, plus the habits that keep your payout honest. When I lived in Colombia, the local metal buyers repriced everything off the day's rate, and honestly it is the same game here, just with a bigger board.

Copper is still the headliner. Bare bright pays the most, then #1, then #2, then insulated wire, and the spread between grades is where the money is. A bucket of mixed copper prices out at the worst grade in it, so sort at home, not in the yard parking lot. And if the wire is thin, like lamp cord or Christmas lights, the labor to strip it almost never pays. Do the math before you reach for the stripper.

Aluminum is a volume game: cans, siding, cast, extrusions, all priced differently, and anything painted or dirty drops you a tier. Keep a magnet in your pocket. If it sticks, it is steel and it does not belong in the nonferrous bucket. Mixing one steel bracket into a load of clean aluminum is the fastest way to lose money on a ticket.

A few habits that actually move the number. Call ahead, because the board price and the phone price are sometimes different, especially on nonferrous. Ask whether the quote is for clean or dirty material before they dump your bucket. Bring ID, since most states require it for nonferrous sales now. And read the ticket before you sign it.

Curious what everyone else is seeing this week. Are your local numbers lining up with this, or is your region running hot or cold?

Steel and iron are heavy and cheap, priced by the ton, not the pound. A junk car is mostly steel, which is why cars get priced by weight. This fall most US yards are paying roughly $140 to $200 a ton for a complete car, which is how a typical sedan lands in that familiar $250 to $750 range. If cars are your main scrap source, here is a solid breakdown of how junkyards price cars.
From owning my own nonferrous scrap yard I learnt one thing before ever opening up-honesty.

The old I screw you/you screwed me never really goes away in the scrap business.
A down grade, a weight, or just because.

I stopped all that BS and treated everyone equal and had the scales certified and checked 4 times a year. ( That was a $1000 extra cost that no other scrap companies do unless they had load cell issues)
The scale is the first I screw you. For the seller it's an easy check.
Stand on each corner, then in the middle. The weights should all match-if they don't walk out the door. The scale isn't accurate and the weights are (Usually)in favour of the buyer (yard)

Lets use this simple example: I pay $1.00 they next yard pays $1.05.
You get a honest weight at my yard-the other yard shaves 2lbs on the scale weight.

Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 5.39.03 AM.webp

It's best to build a relationship with a yard, they'll upgrade more to keep you.

Don't let a yard beat you for a slightly dirty piece in a load. Remove it and take it back to clean it if there's an issue. It's the biggest game they play and they get 90+% of a load clean for less. (Oh I have to pay the guys to sort it all out. (True and False)
If by mistake a dirty piece (irony) got mixed in-just take it out and go on from there.

I took that piece and sheared it off (steel or ?) put the clean on the scale and bought it as clean then. The little piece that got cut off was the charge.

When a yard is honest they don't need to go looking for customers-the customers come to the yard because of the honesty.
 
Appreciate you both jumping in.

russau, separated bins at the source is the whole game. I started doing labeled buckets in my garage and my very next ticket was noticeably cleaner, no surprise downgrades.

pepperj, that post is a masterclass. The scale check is getting copied straight into my routine, corners and middle before they dump anything. I have been on the receiving end of a "slightly dirty" downgrade and just ate it, which I will not be doing again after reading this.

One question for you since you owned a yard: is there any real negotiation room for a small seller? My loads are usually a couple buckets of copper and a truck bed of steel, not exactly VIP volume. Is the relationship payoff mostly getting graded fairly, or can a regular little guy ever get a few cents over board?

The Toronto numbers are interesting too. Converted roughly they do not look that far off what I am seeing here in the US.
 
Appreciate you both jumping in.

russau, separated bins at the source is the whole game. I started doing labeled buckets in my garage and my very next ticket was noticeably cleaner, no surprise downgrades.

pepperj, that post is a masterclass. The scale check is getting copied straight into my routine, corners and middle before they dump anything. I have been on the receiving end of a "slightly dirty" downgrade and just ate it, which I will not be doing again after reading this.

One question for you since you owned a yard: is there any real negotiation room for a small seller? My loads are usually a couple buckets of copper and a truck bed of steel, not exactly VIP volume. Is the relationship payoff mostly getting graded fairly, or can a regular little guy ever get a few cents over board?

The Toronto numbers are interesting too. Converted roughly they do not look that far off what I am seeing here in the US.
The whole thing is based around volume and the amount of turn over. Meaning you walk in daily/weekly/monthly/yearly.
I had all the different cases and with different volumes.
I didn't hand out envelopes (cash undrr the table)to get a contract or a load.
Sure I lost some big ones but I will not lower myself either.
So I would treat you like a guy that brought me 60 tons of wire a year.
You're just as important.

I guess that's why many liked the straight shooting, honesty.
So building a relationship has benefits. Got a piece that's a tad dirty, but your scrap is always good-I'd point it out but never screw you over for it.
Though I had guys that tried it too many times then the lesson of :evil5: :hello:see you later.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom