Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Iā€™ve never done any creek hunting so Iā€™m trying to get some advice. first off Iā€™m looking for jewelry and coins, this is a modern swimming hole near my house. The beach areas are your typical sand beaches, so would I hunt the deep part of the bends or concentrate on the shallows down stream from the bends? I would think because of its weight gold would naturally settle in the deeper water in the bends Or will the current push items to the inside of the bend into the more shallow water?
There are logs in the water so I know items should settle in the calmer water behind them.

the water is probably not much more than waist deep and the bottom is a layer of sand over gravel. There is a fairly strong current . Iā€™m hoping some of the experts here can help educate a rookie.

Attachments

• IMG_4144.jpeg
    IMG_4144.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35
Upvote 4

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I would start in the brush on either side of the water, north or south of where you put the legend ā€œblack creekā€. One reason: amorous couples use areas close by. Clothes come off and pockets spill. Hikers may lose an item, but the lovers lose it all, and donā€™t care until finished. Hope I didnā€™t cross any lines.

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I would start in the brush on either side of the water, north or south of where you put the legend ā€œblack creekā€. One reason: amorous couples use areas close by. Clothes come off and pockets spill. Hikers may lose an item, but the lovers lose it all, and donā€™t care until finished. Hope I didnā€™t cross any lines.
Good advice, I never thought about that scenario

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
My family had a property across the railroad tracks from a dance hall. During nice weather you could almost count on wallets, car keys, change, etc under the lilac bushes the morning after a dance. My dad returned the wallets ā€œanonymouslyā€. He didnā€™t want to embarrass anyone in a small community. The other items didnā€™t have IDs, and NOBODY ever asked if we found anything! šŸ˜„

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
My family had a property across the railroad tracks from a dance hall. During nice weather you could almost count on wallets, car keys, change, etc under the lilac bushes the morning after a dance. My dad returned the wallets ā€œanonymouslyā€. He didnā€™t want to embarrass anyone in a small community. The other items didnā€™t have IDs, and NOBODY ever asked if we found anything! šŸ˜„
Thatā€™s funny!

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the water level is very stable, but fairly swift, I'd do the searchable water first because items in the current might be gone soon. Then go for the beach looking areas. Good idea about deeper pockets and holes. I'd put on a small coil to search around and up under logs. If there is a parking area don't miss it. And Blackfoot58 's idea is pretty good too, even if they are just changing clothes.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How trashy is it? If theres a good amount of garbage you will spend all of your time digging beer cans 2 feet deep in the sand. Is the bottom all sand or is there some bedrock/clay? If you find any areas where the bottom is not sand, I would start there. The area behind a log or boulder is generally not a great place to look. Any light items like aluminum cans will get caught in those low pressure areas. But, sometimes areas along the sides of them can be swept clear from the additional current. Definitely look along the banks/parking areas as others have said as well. Watch some aquachigger videos on youtube, he is a very experienced water hunter and give all kinds of great tips.

OP
OP
H

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
How trashy is it? If theres a good amount of garbage you will spend all of your time digging beer cans 2 feet deep in the sand. Is the bottom all sand or is there some bedrock/clay? If you find any areas where the bottom is not sand, I would start there. The area behind a log or boulder is generally not a great place to look. Any light items like aluminum cans will get caught in those low pressure areas. But, sometimes areas along the sides of them can be swept clear from the additional current. Definitely look along the banks/parking areas as others have said as well. Watch some aquachigger videos on youtube, he is a very experienced water hunter and give all kinds of great tips.
There doesnā€™t seem to be a lot of trash, the bottom is course gravel with a layer of sand on top. I went this morning and did well. Iā€™m going to make another post with my finds.

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There doesnā€™t seem to be a lot of trash, the bottom is course gravel with a layer of sand on top. I went this morning and did well. Iā€™m going to make another post with my finds.
Sounds good, looking forward to seeing how you did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions