How would you price this carving set?

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a lot of silverware online and I just got these in. Its a EHH Smith Holly pattern carving set. If you know much about silver plate, you'll know this is a great pattern to look for. I'm trying to figure out how to price these. None of the replacement sites have any carving sets, nor have there been any recently sold on any of the online sites that I could find. I did find 2 sales on Worthpoint. I don't have a subscription so I have no idea what they sold for. To make it more difficult this set is much larger than the ones sold on Worthpoint. The knife is 15" and the fork 11 3/4". I'm considering doing an auction, but if they're really rare I'm not sure 7 or 10 days is enough exposure. Any idea how to price these? Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 2016-03-11 15.04.03.jpg
    2016-03-11 15.04.03.jpg
    711.1 KB · Views: 106

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are so many sets like these on eBay, so it shouldn't be to much to scan through the sold ones to get a good idea what you could get for them. I would think anything above $65.00 for the set would be good. Just depends on who wants them bad enough.

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think $300 ish? Or more?? If they were mine I'd run an auction starting at $299. If no interest/bids do a BIN at $299? Amazon has some of this pattern as well but didn't find the same set.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After more research I think it could definitely be worth more than $300 due to the scarcity of the set (or even the individual pieces). Of course condition plays a part too. I would start the auction higher or try a very high BIN with best offer? Good luck! Hope someone that has a Worthpoint subscription sees this and can help you out.

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to try and find someone with a subscription before Sunday night. I'd like to have the auction ending on a weekend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread