Howda 1850 Black Powder twin bore pistol

Africa

Apr 27, 2008
Queenstown South Africa
:thumbsup: Yes went out metal detecting last weekend and was hunting around this old house that was out in the bush (country) on a farm, it was one of the first houses built in that area here in South Africa, anyway when I hunt around these old houses, I always go to where the fire place was in the house, was searching around the entrance to the fire place that was made from old sand stone rocks, I even had a look up the chimney, because sometimes people used to hang things up there to keep safe, they even knocked a nail into the stone work as well.

While seaching I found some old nails and wire, but then I started to scan the outer slabs of sand stone rock and picked up this small sound from the machine, could not work out what it was, however once I had cleared away the loose dirt and sand that had spread over this area, I still got the signal from the machine, thus out came my old screw driver and I tried to lift and move the slab away, it did move slightly and then I managed to get my spade edge in the gap and then this slab of rock came loose, under the rock was this small compartment and lying inside wrapped in some stained oil type old cloth was this pistol.

It must have been lying there for many years, as you can see there are a few rust pit marks in the metal, but due to the dry conditions of this area, and the darkness and lack of air, these factors have preserved this gun very well.

After giving it a good clean up, this is what I found below.
246334333b317552fc1094326876eb146bfc2924e322504922845fd2a348b432a781aa84.jpg

004223587bfbda8a08bcfbaf93aae5b63f31c4255b5f2349f9ade256daf70c2012915ea9.jpg

I have managed to do some research on it and have found out that it was in fact used as a saddle gun on a horse to hunt Tigers and Elephants, it is also a smooth bore and the action of the percussion hammers still work. I will attempt to fire it one day, just have to get some caps , powder and balls for it.

I am going back to this area tomorrow to see what else I can find, I have heard of people finding a lot of items around these old fire places, this particular area, I have been told that there is this old lady who says that her family many years ago, buried some valuable items and she is still looking for them. Will try and contact her to find out more about this.

Well have an excellent weekend, here in South Africa , we have a public holiday and thus nice to have the extra time off from work. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Agree with others - great find and I would not fire it... too unpredictable and dangerous.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I wouldn't fire it if it was mine either, but he said he wanted to so I am just telling how to do it safely. And I think I said take it to a competent gunsmith before anything. That powder charge is very mild and the originals used about 100+ grains of blackpowder! It killed on both ends. There was recently a demo on The Outdoor Channel comparing a Howda Pistol with a .50 S&W revolver, and the Howda was an original. Do what you want with my blessings. Just don't change your name to "Lefty"! M :wink: nty

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet! Banner! Did they make demascus (sp?) barrels on pistols?

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Africa!!! Congrats and Banner all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HH Joe

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have a .62 caliber flintlock pistol that I shoot with 30 grains of ffg. make sure the ball is seated against the powder or it has been nice knowing you. look inside the barrel for pitting too. I'd fire it once and clean it up then put it away forever. nice piece guy. best of luck on firing it. if the pits are over 1/16" deep forget firing it period.

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Damascus barrel was my first thought as well. No sense taking a chance, put it on display.

GREAT FIND! Banner for sure.

Grip

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread