ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
so brother jonathan had mainly paper money (ruined of course) and only about 1,000 gold coins ---pity for the salvors

agreed frank hudson was a bit of a odd bird, thats true but some of his info was good * -- isn't it odd that the us govt took all of his papers and documents that he had gathered over the years from him and forbid him to talk "treasure" under pain of imprisonment, what he knew about the bay of pigs "pay off money" stashed on a small island just off of cuba to be used to pay off cuban officals who were to betray castro sealed franks treasure hunting fate fairly well .

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
agreed if it was easy it would be gone --but then again how many years did the 1715 fleet sit just offshore brimming with treasure little known except for a few locals finding a coin now and then ? very little "origional" exploring has been done on this side of coast --

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
FISHEYE said:
who has a boat in the gulf?

I've got a 40' Endeavour sloop rigged liveaboard sailboat I dive off of in St. Pete. Photos available on my website, click on the 'our boat' link then 'read more.'

You would have to be pre-screened, and approved by my parrot first :-)

... I'm available for adventure the month of February.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
A number of years ago "Dr." L. Frank Hudson published a little newsletter about Florida pirate and shipwreck treasures. There wasn't a pirate on the Gulf who didn't hide chests and chests of treasure, if the reader were to believe his research.

Again, it was quite a while ago, but as I recall the story the government put him out of business when they discovered a photo of him with a bulldozer on top of an Indian mound. Given his advanced age, I would suggest it was a plea deal - he gave up all his treasure papers and promised not to dabble in that field again, and in return he didn't have to serve any time.

I had the opportunity to edit an unpublished manuscript of his, and not only did I not believe any of the treasure stories but so much of the basic history was just plain wrong that the book was, in my opinion, of no value to a treasure hunter.

Trying to refresh my memory I came across this interesting newspaper item:

Brush Shrouds Burial Mounds
By BAIRD HELGESON The Tampa Tribune
Published: Sep 16, 2007

...Mid-1970s: L. Frank Hudson and Gordon R. Prescott publish a book called "Lost Treasures of Florida's Gulf Coast," which drew many seeking gold and other treasure to the island. Of Big Cockroach Mound, the book said: "It is said that a number of gold coins were recently dug up by the water's edge." The book's publisher, Great Outdoors Publishing in St. Petersburg, now says the information was erroneous. "Don't believe anything in that book," said Jan Allyn, president of the company.

http://www.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBDXD0YM6F.html

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
not saying all of frank hudsons information was correct by any means -- just that now and then he dug up a interesting nugget of "rare" information and often from very shall we say "unusual" sources.

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes the us govt took over 5 million dollars worth of illegally there in west florida us citizen "damage claims" which were laid against spanish govt ---- in the agreement *thats clearely spelled out in it --- but what about the "spanish citizen" of floridas claims against the american govt ? were they to get nothing at all ? (highly unlikely)-- since they too suffer loss of property damage and such --what about "the spanish claims" how did they get "settled"? --easy the same way the american ones did a us govt payoff to the spanish govt in a like amount $5 million which the spanish govt could then dole out as it pleased. -- in exchange --for clearing up all the florida "damage claims" from both sides and letting spain claim texas -- the us got florida and land in the upper northwest coast.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
The $5M payment by the U.S. Government to US citizens is well-documented - it's in the original treaty, there was a Commission established to adjudicate the claims, etc.

Regarding this "second" $5M payment in gold from the US Government to the government of Spain no one has posted any documentation. Surely the obligation of our country to pay this amount of money in the early 1800's would be authorized by Congress, subject to another treaty, there would have been another Claims Commission established to handle the matter, etc.

Without sources being cited there isn't much for us to work on here.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
history of congress -- april 1806 pages 981 -982 onward talks about money paid to spain* for florida . the sum of two million is said . they speak of the french basically "pimping" the spanish at the time . (selling spanish lands in the louisana purchase and pocketing the cash) thus spain was "owed" money

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my 1883 chart on the screen now,plotting out those cords now.1862 is the earliest i think i have.wrecks were noted back then on these charts.As the wreck rotted away they took them off the charts as the years went by.This viewer is a pain in the a$$ to work with:(

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think these charts go out that far but from what i can tell back in 1886 the water close to that area was only 3 foot deep.Im still looking at them.I have charts from 1886 to 1975

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A 1988 chart shows a wreck there.Now to go back in time on the older charts to see if its there.

Attachments

• 1988chart.jpg
    1988chart.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 1,126

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes south of deadmans bay and north of cedar key aprox 9 or miles more or less west.in 3 foot to 15 foot of water.Im still sifting thru the charts.got about a hundred of them.An of course the dates on them are not the file names so now im renaming them as i look at them,this could take days.will get back to it later tonight.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
So what they call Ancient spanish gold ,is the same gold from the 1820 wreck?And are the coins U.S.gold coins ....

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the confederate wreck (civil war thus 1860ish) is up the river a bit -- the 1820 spainish pay off money is on the outside in the ocean off the "mouth" of the river ---gold coins have been reportedly found near both areas --

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Yes the 1860 the kegs tossed off the gun boat up the river. The 5 mill in gold in 1820 was it spanish gold coins,or american gold coins....I guess they are american from the info above...The $5M payment by the U.S. Government to US citizens is well-documented - it's in the original treaty, there was a Commission established to adjudicate the claims, etc..Something like this . My thinking is the coins should be more like the ss republic,instead of spanish,maybe im wrong..And how could america make/or come up with 5 mill worth of coins in 1820.......

Attachments

• half_eagle_1810_obv_sdt5_pcgs64.jpg
    half_eagle_1810_obv_sdt5_pcgs64.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,011

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
It seems that would be another task/to cut or melt and then divide among the citizens.. Everyone would get 1 bar, or a piece of a bar .I think they would have paid it in spendable money ...

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
It sure looks like a good search ,with ivans math 193,000,000 :D Im looking into the gold and the odds of it being american gold are slim,most U.S. gold shiped to europe.. I will keep a eye on the post ,and keep working on the 193,00,000.Goodluck to all,relic

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions