Hunted a new school and found something unexpected....

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went out to a new middle school to hunt the soccer fields with Christa. I let her test drive the White's DFX for a bit in the coin / jewelry mode. Her first swing said nickel, and out popped a nickel. Then she got a penny... and then she called it a day, and I don't blame her since you needed a pick axe to get an inch deep in the ground. I found your usual clad, but no jewelry this time out, but maybe next time. We were out maybe 45min and it started to rain. But the unusual find of the day was this 1865 Indian Head Penny that was about 3" down. Please note that this entire field is about a foot deep of fill dirt, rocks, and trash. Some of this fill dirt must have come from an old location since this IHP was found at all. I tried digging a few deep signals after finding it and found nearly brand new bottle caps about 8" down.

As it started to rain I decided to try the DFX while walking back to the car. I got 3 signals with, 2 of which said quarter, and out popped a quarter, and the other said nickel/ring and out popped a pull tab... oh well, they can't all be winners.

Here is the pic of the IHP:

04-29-06-1865IH.JPG

Upvote 0

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That IH is very nice. I found an 1883 last week and it was barely readable. That is interesting about the fill dirt. You never know in this hobby.

Mirage

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Indian cent.

I found a 1865 myself a couple weeks ago. Mine came out of a ditch. I'll bet it had been moved many times over the past 100 years or so.

Congrats on the find.

Badger

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Brian. Tsgman

thumper

Nov 25, 2005
clifton forge virginia
Detector(s) used
radioshack discovery 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!!!!!! Brian, what you have found so far would make me happy for a few yrs. at least......lol Thanks for the encouragement........I need to get a real detector, and do more research......Your post and comments really help people like me to just realize you do need good a good machine and put the time in, and things will happen......All I have right now is a radio shack 2000.......it works ,,,but doesnt go very deep on coin size objects. Deepest coin I have found is about 5 inches......I know I am missing targets.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread