Hunted out 1880s school site

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted out 1880's school site

Yep you guys have heard the one were you are told, "you won't find anything there" Its Been hunted a hundred times. Yeah right! Well my partner and I started hunting for a old 1880's school house yesterday and it only took us about 45 min. before we found a place we could hunt. We talked to a farmer and he directed us to the owner and both of them said, that place is hunted out, but your welcome to hunt it if you like. One of the guys went to school there and the school was closed in 1932. We found several items there. My buddy using his Garrett 250 found the first coin, a 1934 Wheatie laying right on top of the ground. I walked off the acre site and put tile flags out so we had a idea were to walk. We found two tokens, two wheaties, I found a 1916 Buffalo nickel, and a cross, a broach and my buddy found a 1903 Barber quarter. Not to bad for a hunted out site. Guess where we are going back to when the fiiedl gets worked up next spring. It's in corn stubble right now. Well hope you enjoy the pictures as much as we did finding the stuff. HH, Ringfinder

Attachments

• Finds today.jpg
    Finds today.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 544
  • finds today 2.jpg
    finds today 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 549
Upvote 0
R

rb

Re: Hunted out 1880's school site

sweet finds for those "hunted out parks" keep it uo...HH RB

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds!! WTG!!

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH

Hey Denny. Very nice finds!! Neat tokens and such. I'm still huntin for my first barber.

My son and I went to our own hunted out park last week and couldn't believe it when we pulled 3 more mercs from the park in 2 hours. ::) Now sooner or later every park becomes "dry". That is until new technology comes along. ;D

Mirage

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Great find's from the "hunted out" site,the one token look's like it has an old railway lantern on it.WTG and HH!!

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+

No place is ever hunted, I don't care how good you are!

If it was hunted YEARS ago, you'll at least stil find plenty of old pennies, nickels and possibly a few pieces of silver, not to mention the other knick-knacks left behind.

Even if every square inch of dirt had a detector over top of it, there will still be stuff found there. Ask yourself, do YOU dig every target? Do you think the detectorists that were there before you dug every target? Did they know how to use their detector properly?

I was told the same thing about a place I've been hunting since last spring. I don't have as much time to go swing the coil any more, but I can tell you that the last 8 trips I have made there have ALL produced at LEAST one piece of silver money.

Congrats on the goodies! Don't let anyone fool you with the "hunted out" line!

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No site is ever really hunted out is it? It might be untill the ground freezes and thaws and pushes more items back up towards the surface. So in my opinion they produce a few new targets every spring. Tsgman

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sweet ....Got to love those hunted out sites.......Seeker

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The only really hunted out places I have found are newer parks. Even then you can find some clad left behind recently and an occasional silver or gold trinket in the chips. There's a park right down the street from my house where i go often to check on some new theory I've come up with for my detectors. I find something.....not always treasure, but something every time. Old parks are even better. I found a gold ring at one such last summer. And it had been there a few years too. Monty

OP
OP
ringfinder

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HI everyone, thanks for all your comments. My partner and I went back to that old school house Saturday and found a few more things. I have posted them in " UPdate on that Hunted Out School House Site". Thanks again for all your comments. I do love this hobby and you can ask the guys I hunt with, every once and awhile I say just that.
I Love this Hobby! HH, Ringfinder

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What some awesome finds for a hunted out spot! :D

CONGRATS!!

;)

WV_Detecting

Oct 24, 2005
WV
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT

I like it too when someone tells me those famous words, "its hunted out but you are welcome to try it"...try it I shall, good job nice finds you guys

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Very nice, WTG!!!
Love that old cross. Interesting token, and fob too...
Good luck, & Happy huntring~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread