What's new

Hunting a Ski Resort

grover868

Greenie
Joined
Mar 31, 2011
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer SE Pro, DFX
This Friday, I have an opportunity to hunt a ski resort. I've never hunted a ski resort, and would appreciate any suggestions & tips. Chris
 
Try at the top of the mountain where people dismount the chairlift as this is where most people lose their balance and fall spilling whatever might be in their pockets. Also this is the area where a lot of snowboarders sit down after dismounting the lift to reattach their boot to their binding also spilling whatever's in their pockets. Follow the chairlift line from the top to the bottom. People reach into their pockets all the time for tissues, cigarettes, etc... on the ride up and something is bound to fall out.
 
Also try around the Warming Huts (food concession stands and restrooms)...

Any place where skis are temporarily stored on racks...

Bunny slopes would be another good place to hunt...so many beginners falling on their butts...
 
Sounds like way too much walking uphill to me :laughing9: I did some work at a ski resort in Michigan a few years ago putting up a stage for summer concerts. So keep in mind that many have summer events as well and try to find where those may have been. People lose a lot of jewelry at outdoor concerts. Plus anywhere someone pulled off a glove they may have pulled off a ring with it. Good luck!
 
People hunt them in the east coast all the time, they go when the snow is melting.. Most items are laying right on the top of the ground waiting to be picked up :laughing7: Why bother lugging a MD under those conditions :dontknow:
 
The bottom of the hill is good,and downslope of any bumps on the hill also.
 
funny i came across this post...we hiked up a small portion of one of the trails this spring for a cub scout hike to a pond..on the way up i found coins laying on the slope, on the way down i found more...plus a screw driver. I decided to hike up one of the lifts a few days later, I found all kinds of stuff...ski poles gloves cell phones ect ect. on the way down the slopes i found more change. I am dying to find someone to give me permission to detect! If i found that much on the surface what lies beneath?????
 
I like the old ski slopes that have been around awhile. Lake Tahoe has numerous abandoned slopes that were used from the 1920's to the 50's. I recovered numerous silver coins off of them. Try and be there just as the snow is beginning to melt, your eyeball finds can be almost as much as the detector finds. I've seen watches, gold jewelry, sun glasses, and hundreds of clad coins just laying on top on the wet ground. Look for small holes on top of the snow, that always indicates a coin or some other object melting its way down. If you are one of the first detectorist there you should find some goodies. Have fun...
 
What a great opportunity! I have always wondered what the ground under the lift cables look like in spring! Must be a treasure hunters dream! My suggestions are to try around the life pass booths. Being an avid skier, I always see people removing gloves, fishing through pockets and dropping stuff in their haste to get their money out to pay for a lift pass. Also try around the areas where people stack their gear before entering the lodge, restrooms or food areas. A lot of pocket fishing and "handing-off" goes on around those areas as well. After a nice dusting of soft powder, most coins and valuables fall down into the snow and are gone till spring. Best of luck and please report back with what you find! I bet it's a wind-fall!
 
Take your time, and search from the bottom to the top and around buildings. Good Luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom