What's new

Hunting around Canberra?

Ghostbat

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 3, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Anyone in the Canberra, Queanbeyan, Goulburn or Captains Flat areas keen to go on a hunt in the future?
 
I am near Gungahlin and am brand-new to metal detecting and Australia. I would love to go on a hunt but I have no idea where. Do you have any experience in metal detecting?
 
I just got back from my first ever metal detecting hunt and I had a great time! An Aussie by the name of Ian contacted me through Treasure.net and said he'd show me the basics. We met up today at a park in suburban Canberra and after a brief introductions, we were off.

Our goal was coin shooting. Ian said that this park had been around for decades so there was a good chance we'd find some pre-decimal Australian coins.

Here is a picture of my take:

309133_4968143641774_62446380_n.webp

The skull is some kind of costume jewelry. The object at the top-right I found about five feet away from the parking lot. I assume it's a car part. The top row of coins are pre-1962 Australian pennies. One dollar coins comprise the middle row; the first two coins on the last row are Australian two dollar coins and the last coin is a two cent coin.

I learned some important things: purchase a trowel made for coin shooting. My garden trowel just didn't work well in the sun baked Australian sod. Wear gloves. Purchase a point detector, to zero in on the object.
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom