What's new

Hunting HUD Property

hard.times.lures

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
A metal detecting dealer told me that if I could find any HUD homes for sale that it would be OK to hunt them. I am afraid that the Feds might take aversion to this. Have any of you had experience hunting HUD properties? Thanks, Bryan
 
Bryan,
A HUD home is no different than any other foreclosed or REO properties. Unless the site is derelict and has been clearly abandoned for some time, you should always seek permission. Definitely don't expect to have a free pass at a home because it is a HUD property.
 
Private is private no matter how you look at it. All land is owned by somebody or some orgnization ie goverment & State. Always seek permmision or know the laws on public property as well. I have hunted a few rental properties be prepared to di tons of trash and sometimes the bonus needle shows up so be prepared when sticking a finger or hand in a dark hole. A few have paid off for me and a few have been so trashy I could not move the detector a inch without it goin nuts. Good luck.
 
Bryan, you're asking this question on a forum where some people think you need permission to detect a public park sandbox? And what did you think some would say? :P

To answer your question, it's probably like any publically owned (HUD is public) piece of land or property: I bet if you just did it, no one would care less or even notice you (unless you were being a nuisance, making a mess, etc...). But I bet if you asked high enough up the chain of command (even if you get a yes, go higher up the chain) and eventually you'll find someone in a federal office across the state to tell you "no".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom