Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been granted access to over five acres of undetected land in the Glen Allen area. The basic maps I have found show there were multiple battles in the area but they are vague and nonspecific. There also used to be a homestead in the area that very little traces remain. I can tell you that it is about one mile away from General Crump Memorial Park and not too far from the railroad. Have a few questions if anybody would be gracious enough to help:
1. Do you know anywhere on the internet I can find some more detailed maps?
2. I live in Florida, so it would be quite a trip up there. I'm not interested in making money but I don't want to go dig up trash all day. Does anybody know if this area has a lot of artifacts that come out of it?
3. Any other advice would be most welcome. Thanks...

Upvote 0

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The area you speak of does have a lot of history. There was a lot of Civil War action in the area and any given property will have some sort of Civil War relics on it. I will say that the Richmond area has been pounded to death since the 1970's so to find any land that has never been hunted will be hard to find. If the site held a old homesite on it, you will dig some type of trash but you will also find coins, brass, buttons, ect.. If you want to know if there is Civil War action you need to research the Civil Was Atlas. It will show period maps and troop movements. Google Glenn Allen Civil War. See what comes up. Like I said, the history is in the area. You have at least an 11-12 hour drive to get there to hunt 5 acres. That is a big finacial obligation in gas, food, and lodging. I hunt the Richmond area and I have found a lot of good relics. But I live an hour and half away. Hope this helps

Wes

OP
OP
Crispin

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. It does help. I would fly up to visit a friend and make a weekend out of it. I know for sure it has never been hunted because his family has owned the land for 75 years. It is a good friend of mine. If you're interested, I would probably solidfy plans in about six months or so for a two day hunt. the more detectors the better.

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am always interested in hunting a new location and meeting new people. You can visit my youtube page and see that I am a pretty serious relic hunter and I have been doing this for a while. The soil in Richmond is wonderful and very kind to relics. I see that you hunt with a coin master. You may want something with a little bit more depth and discrimination patterns. You may have a diamond in the ruff since you can confirm that it has never been hunted. Also, you said the family has been there for 75 years. Ask them about the history of the property, I am sure they would know something. Neighbors and previous owners should have told them something? Thanks again and good luck with everything.

Wes

Thanks. It does help. I would fly up to visit a friend and make a weekend out of it. I know for sure it has never been hunted because his family has owned the land for 75 years. It is a good friend of mine. If you're interested, I would probably solidfy plans in about six months or so for a two day hunt. the more detectors the better.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know for sure it has never been hunted because his family has owned the land for 75 years. .

Man, That is tough. I Live and hunt in the Richmond area. And there are a ton of people who hunt at night. I hope for you this is not the case for the property you speak of. That said.
That area specifialy is known for having a few camps due to the rail road, and has produced some great stuff by some long time relic hunters. If you make it up this way try to find a lead to get a second place to hunt that way mabe you could at least pick up a bullet or two.

ronr

Dec 26, 2010
Central Va
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I live in Glen Allen. There are no CW battle sites near Crump Manor but there was calvary activity near Crump. Yellow Tavern was the biggest CW battle in the area. The outer defenses of Richmond ran thru Glen Allen and they are marked on the period maps. If there is a period home site on the property near the RR than CW troops were most likely on the property. The RR is in the same location it was in the CW. You can use it to get your bearings if you compare period maps to the property you can hunt.

Ron

sorahc

Feb 7, 2013
If it has a house site and noted camp or battle action, do not hesitate. But be sure you have a thoroughly modern detector. I hunt in Hanover County and without a very good detector and a lot of experience, you will find very little.

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am putting together a detector (again) to get back into hunting. I live far Midlothian area and would love to get a group together and see what we can do. I am just ordering the F4 and a Garrett pinpointer. Any local folks, feel free to keep me in the loop on any local hunts.

KFerguson

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
if you know anyone with places to hunt im looking new to the world of hunting just go around my back yard (kids love it when i do it lol) would love to hunt and find some cool things please let me know thanks

corklabus

Dec 5, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
none yet
Years ago, I was involved in the construction of the Kingston subdivision in Glen Allen. At that time, I recall the developers having to do test drilling because of some type of mining going on during the civil war time. Something involved with producing ammunition chemicals. The drilling turned out negative, but during the ground work, we nearly lost a backhoe in an air shaft and later a dozer in a subduction area. There could also be relics of that sort found in the area if you can produce any kind of location research on the subject. The mines of that time were not mapped that any of us could find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread