CT, tried the NETR Online and have already found 2 sites from 1952 where the water authority had purchased the properities and are completly gone.I will be checking these 2 places out as soon as the rain stops.Thanks
Bob, It takes some time on the net to find sites to learn about my own area. In my State, google maps, not satellite, the areas shown in green are either: State Forest, Town Forest or Open Spaces, also "Land Preserves" owned by an organization. Then I look on the old maps to see if there were any homes there long ago. But, I found other State owned land that is not colored; these could be owned by different State Agency like former schools or hospitals, whatever.
I found many things from finding State owned land that is not colored green on the maps. These were virgin spots because you'd have to look on the propery owners list, to realize they are not privately owned, and not many people take the time to look on the records.
What I said about expensive detectors, I meant that some beginners that think they don't find much, can start to think that their own detector is missing many things.
When I first started 15 years ago, I had a friend who used a Whites 5900 Di-Pro for years, and showed me all the things he found. But he heard so much about the first Minelab Explorer, that he bought one. He went through all his best spots and said he never found much that the Whites missed. He moved away 2 years ago, but since then, I forced myself to learn those online maps and records, and my finds now are as good or better than what he found years ago.
It's more about learning every sound or technique of a persons detector, and gaining confidence in it, as well as confidence in your own skills as far as how to use it, which coils for certain spots, and how to sweep and grid in a known good spot.
Once you know that your machine is fine, and you know your skills are good, that along with research, will give you a good hobby.