What's new

I believe it is a native american tool of some kind?

screlichunter

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2011
Messages
35
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
I found this item along with a chert point in Newberry County South Carolina. It is a soft material with three scraped areas of the bottom as shown in the photos. I also circled a portion of the one of the photos to show a raised script-like area. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • Sep27_0001.webp
    Sep27_0001.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Sep27_0011.webp
    Sep27_0011.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Sep27_0010.webp
    Sep27_0010.webp
    36.5 KB · Views: 439
  • Sep27_0008.webp
    Sep27_0008.webp
    26.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Sep27_0009.webp
    Sep27_0009.webp
    27.3 KB · Views: 439
  • Sep27_0013.webp
    Sep27_0013.webp
    23.3 KB · Views: 427
  • Sep27_0012.webp
    Sep27_0012.webp
    37 KB · Views: 442
  • Sep27_0005.webp
    Sep27_0005.webp
    25.3 KB · Views: 445
  • Sep27_0004.webp
    Sep27_0004.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 437
  • Sep27_0003outline.webp
    Sep27_0003outline.webp
    52.7 KB · Views: 453
  • Sep27_0003.webp
    Sep27_0003.webp
    27.6 KB · Views: 436
  • Sep27_0002.webp
    Sep27_0002.webp
    27.4 KB · Views: 463
Nice point. Was the other stuff found were it has been plowed?? Short of other tool, or usage marks, I think rocks are what they are. The gouges could have been made with a plow. Look to be of limestone material..
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply! They were both found in the bank of an old road bed. I thought that the rock was a little soft to be a tool, but it almost an exact fit for my hand. The marks could possibly be made when they plowed up the road bed or it may have been a hunting food plot at one time. I appreciate you input, thanks again!
 
Upvote 0
****UPDATE****

I have looked a little closer with some research. The land where I found the stone was along the Cherokee trail. Now with that said I may be blinded by some wishful thinking, but I am posting some photos for your thoughts.

I may just have a good imagination, but let me know what you think.

I am seeing the word 'AWI' in the script-like figures. The word 'AWI' in the Cherokee language translates to "deer", also their appears to be a figure of a deer as well. I included two photos one with circled areas and one without. I know seeing it in 2D compared to real-time is hard to determine. Again I need some different eyes on this, so thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • NORMAL.webp
    NORMAL.webp
    105.4 KB · Views: 394
  • Outlined.webp
    Outlined.webp
    125.1 KB · Views: 378
Upvote 0
It is Elk, not Deer. I don't see the Animal, but do see some type of etching or scratching of letters. Although as stated, it could be just seeing what you want. Also just for fun, I am a Egyptology nut :tongue3: AWI translates to "Glory".
 
Upvote 0
Hey thanks again for all the input and thanks for entertaining my curious imagination. I have wet the stone and allowed it to dry some. I shot another angle.

The things that are odd are that the marks are raised, being a softer stone type you can tell the elevation in between the marks is lower and the color is also different, like layers. The image was
gouged out rather than etched. The other thing I was thinking about is that the word "AWI" would be the English equivalent of the Cherokee language. Just strange to see the image and the word together.

The chert point I found near it is definitely much earlier than any English speaking people would have made contact with the native people. So they are deffiniatly from different eras, if this is indeed an artifact.

Again thanks for looking!
 

Attachments

  • NORMALA.webp
    NORMALA.webp
    168.8 KB · Views: 413
  • OUTLINEA.webp
    OUTLINEA.webp
    165.8 KB · Views: 362
Upvote 0
The point is going to be hard to date due to the damage on the base. It could be early archiac or possibly Mississippian. The rock is full of imagination but that is what makes it fun. I doubt being soft any inscription would survive.
Nice finds and go back and look for the points :hello:
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom