I believe we need a gun thread. Carrying while detecting?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for those of you who carry concealed while detecting: Is an IWB holster comfortable enough while bending, digging, etc., or is an OWB a better choice?

There's the rub. Figure you need pants and belt loose enough to allow an extra inch of space to be taken up. Otherwise, they don't get in the way at all IF you have a proper holster. I know some guys who aren't comfortable bending and digging as it is. ;-)

In NY I have to carry concealed (unless hunting). So I have a variety (eight) holsters for my normal everyday pistol - a S&W M&P 9 Shield. With 10 rounds it weighs about half what my Colt Officer's ACP of 7 rounds does. IMHO one of the smallest "serious" pistols. The latter being "old school" concealable. The poly framed handguns make a LOT of sense for defensive carry.

As far as comfort, I have a Galco KingTuk IWB on right now that has been in place since 7:00AM today. I have herded sheep into a carrier, weeded gardens, mowed, went for a hike with THE ADMIRAL, cleaned around the chicken coup.

OWB is hands-down more comfortable. But unless you are wearing a jacket it is more detectable. IWB I get by in slacks and a tucked in shirt at work and, as far as I know, it is undetectable. IWB also works very well with untucked shirts. When you can get away with a little more casual.

Never felt the need to hide a gun on my person to get an advantage over someone.

Hopefully you never will. But when the knut-job starts blasting your co-workers away with a shotgun, or slashing away with a machete, and all you have is harsh language and your fists and teeth you may change your mind.

Mine was changed when a man parked his car against the back doors of a local firm and went around to the front and killed 12 people. Better to have a fighting chance. "They" always have the advantage because they decide where and when. We are always at a disadvantage because we think like rational people and assume we are safe among others of our own kind. As I was taught in Boy Scouts: be prepared.

But you are right: a gun is not always an advantage. But that's the way you bet.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been in law enforcement for around 25 years. I have never shot less than a 100% while qualifying. On the 500 yard line, at Camp Perry, I only shot 80%.... with department gun, no bipods (just sling), and off the shelf ammo, from an unsupported prone position. To become a police sniper firearms instructor, I needed to only shoot 70 %. With my own Rem 700, I would have shot 100%. So, other than patting myself on the back, I would say that I have been practicing all my adult life to make sure that that one time I must shoot to save my life or some one else's, I will "get 'r done". (Damn, I like to talk guns!) ╦╦Ç

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to shoot PPC with the local Sheriff's department (with a sweet 6" S&W M-14 .38 Spl I still have)

No matter what you shoot the pressure of shooting in competition is a great asset.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The squeakers want total control. Its not right.

And another of their multitude of problems is that they want that control handed to them instead of Earning it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to shoot PPC with the local Sheriff's department (with a sweet 6" S&W M-14 .38 Spl I still have)

No matter what you shoot the pressure of shooting in competition is a great asset.
I have (had) more than 3 dozen IPSC, PPC, and police bullseye circuit trophys. When I left WI for NC, in '91, I was ranked 14th in the state on the police bullseye circuit. It's in the record. In '84, I was the WI Police State freshman slow fire champion, shooting 99 and 99 (198). Shooting is my passion.... way past gun freak status. ╦╦Ç

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! Very nice.

I never got up with the "big dogs" but had a great time.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right. It should not make you uncomfortable. So why does it?

It doesn't make me uncomfortable, actually just the opposite. A gun to me is a big sign that states "I'm afraid I'm going to get beat up or mugged and I need to carry a gun to protect myself". Kind of sad and pathetic, actually...

I was referring to women and children at the beach or at a school. After all the nut cases shooting up schools and other public areas recently, most people are very uncomfortable with a someone toting a gun around in public.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my rights end when someone's feelings might get hurt?
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

If you don't realize how uptight people are right now when it comes to guns and gun toting citizens, then you're clueless. Nothing I can say will change your opinion of what you are doing.

My whole point was the fact that I don't need anyone else harassing me. I already get enough garbage from people right now. If I strapped a gun to my hip, I can just imagine how fast they'd be calling the cops on me when I detect. I don't need that grief. As it is, it takes all my willpower not to kick the crap out of all the baseball and soccer coaches who tell me I can't dig holes on "their" field. No, boy, it's not YOUR field. It's public land and it belongs to everyone. End of rant!

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't realize how uptight people are right now when it comes to guns and gun toting citizens, then you're clueless. Nothing I can say will change your opinion of what you are doing.

My whole point was the fact that I don't need anyone else harassing me. I already get enough garbage from people right now. If I strapped a gun to my hip, I can just imagine how fast they'd be calling the cops on me when I detect. I don't need that grief. As it is, it takes all my willpower not to kick the crap out of all the baseball and soccer coaches who tell me I can't dig holes on "their" field. No, boy, it's not YOUR field. It's public land and it belongs to everyone. End of rant!
A candidate for CCW or Open carry has to believe in what he is doing, must devote himself to what he is doing, and must insure that he is at all times safe and prepared for what ever comes their way. In hopes that if the time comes, all goes as planned or as near to as planned that it is acceptable. You are not that person and that is OK leave it as is and accept the rights of others to be. It is a simple acceptance of rights.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are not that person and that is OK leave it as is and accept the rights of others to be. It is a simple acceptance of rights.

Well put. Let's just agree to disagree on this matter and move on.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

When Obama ran for a second term, and then when it looked like Clinton would win, there was a FRENZY to buy as many guns as possible. Do you think these are the citizens that are uncomfortable with "gun toting citizens"? Do you really think you would be harassed MORE if you are openly carrying? Police will "inform" those uncomfortable citizens that open carry was ok.... the law.... voted in by those same citizens. While a citizen of AZ, openly carrying, I was NEVER "harassed" by anybody, including police officers. Where have you EVER seen good guys openly carrying around a school? Never happened, never will. I am hearing the same phrases from you.... that would indicate to me that you are reading from prepared scripts. Your verbose anti-gun comments are protected by the Constitution but are fundamentally flawed. ╦╦Ç

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She is still clueless that Rights don't depend on anyone's 'feelings'.
So sad, the state of the educational system in this country.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern quality revolvers do NOT need to have an empty chamber to be carried safely. You can use one to hammer concrete and it wont transfer the energy to the primer thru the hammer.
The way to test that is to drop a pencil, eraser first, down the barrel of an unloaded revolver. If you intentionally pull the trigger, the firing pin will pop the pencil out of the barrel. If you barely tap the trigger, which is similar to dropping the gun, the pencil should stay put. There could be some freak exception I guess, but you shouldn't have any problem carrying a live round under the hammer on modern wheel guns.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way to test that is to drop a pencil, eraser first, down the barrel of an unloaded revolver. If you intentionally pull the trigger, the firing pin will pop the pencil out of the barrel. If you barely tap the trigger, which is similar to dropping the gun, the pencil should stay put. There could be some freak exception I guess, but you shouldn't have any problem carrying a live round under the hammer on modern wheel guns.
I leave one empty on all wheel guns because of my standard way of loading. Everyone makes mistakes. I don't want to be the guy that accidentally loads a non seer pin wheel gun and accidentally shoots someone or myself in the foot. Its a regimental way of taking the most amount of oops out of the program. in a situation where there was danger or a known combative situation I would drop in the max rounds of course. But standard carry I drop one every time. I also do not carry a piped automatic either no matter how many bells and whistle safeties the gun has. In a combative situation the above would also apply. TO date, I have not ever been in that situation BTW. In training Which is absolutely necessary to responsibly carry, I train to rack before shooting and my count is 5 not 6.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To each his own. All the revolvers I own have transfer bars that don't allow the hammer to fall unless the trigger is pulled.

I carry my semi with a chambered round. Not sure I'm going to have the time, opportunity and availability of both hands free to cycle the slide when the poop hits the fan.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also carry one in the chamber on my Taurus Public Defender.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread