I came back...

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep back in 2017 I started detecting and bought a cheap Tesoro, didn't quite understand it the beeps that is, knew nothing about it. My roommate screamed at me from the door WHAT ARE YOU DOING! WHERE DID YOU GET THAT, YOU CAN'T DO THAT HERE IT'S NOT ALLOWED" In that yard I found a 60's chevy car handle. Went over to some land where there was a public park, and walked a rocky dried up river, got more attention from some woman in her car, ''You can't do that your removing ancient artifacts, leave them alone!" she yelled. I did do research and found there are detecting clubs around here that exist and it's not illegal. So after moving away from my annoying roommate, I moved down the road , I started up again. Some old lady that lived nearby walked over and laughed. .'Girl all this area has been picked clean, give it up, a guy found a Spanish helmet down the road and cleaned up everything after that, ain't nothing more to find, your wasting your time"' after trying for a few days with my little beeps I turned up nothing. I sold it the detector and listened to the old lady. Sew, in 2018 I moved away up in the hills and recently thought about detecting again. I live in the high desert altitude 6237, and let me tell you, there is nobody around here detecting, never have I seen anybody. I have lots of walking trails around my house, my roommate is the only one who hikes them. They go on forever in the hills you see below in the pic. A junk yard in the back of old bottles and falling down buildings. A few days ago, I walked out to my bird feeder and noticed there was a 1960's car door handle. I picked it up and it looked like the exact one I found in 2017. it was like I was being told to try again and don't let anybody tell you to give it up. I have fields all around me as well, there's only 2 houses nearby. I lived here now for 5 years and have seen nobody around. Sew, guess what, I bought a detector bag, gloves, shovel, and a new Garrett arriving in the mail and I'm going back out. Do you think I'm wasting my time, after finding that handle at my feet to me that was a sign. I do have a river nearby, and mountains 3 stories high. I live in a area of Indians, Spanish wars, settlers, my 150 year old adobe I live in sits on fruit orchards that thrived in the 40's, that has now been shut down since the 70's. Thanks for reading, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Below is the view from my driveway.

Attachments

• IMG_2850.JPG
    IMG_2850.JPG
    231.7 KB · Views: 29

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will never know unless you try.
Welcome back.
Have patience... and most of all strive to enjoy the time doing it... when you do... you will have found the true treasure of / in Metal detecting.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome back
Ask for the permissions if it's private lands, fill you pouch if it public property.
No such thing as cleaned out
They just gabbing/protecting the home turf.
What machine did you get?
Best of luck, post your finds
Beautiful view
"Happy trails"

OP
OP
Ledster

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I
Welcome back
Ask for the permissions if it's private lands, fill you pouch if it public property.
No such thing as cleaned out
They just gabbing/protecting the home turf.
What machine did you get?
Best of luck, post your finds
Beautiful view
"Happy trails"
Garrett Apex got it for my birthday, I live on property that's owned by some guy in Florida who comes once a year to say Hi, it's private but I kind of doubt he would care, the way it looks it's been trashed for years around here. I found a old bottle filled with sunflower seeds looked like something that fell off a wagon of settlers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ledster

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think it would depend on how much you like picking through stuff. I personally love that would make a collage of broken old glass and display it on the wall.
Do you do that? if so I'll send ya some, got mostly browns, greens, clears, old whiskey bottles, a few canning jars, don't know, maybe your right about, the old build has old mattresses, washers with the roof collapsed, kinda dirty.

Dakota Sioux

Nov 11, 2015
South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT- Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love to create art with old thing like 1960s and 70s TVs which I got 3 pickup loads for free. Would love it if you sent me some of the ones you think are cool i will make something out of it

OP
OP
Ledster

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love to create art with old thing like 1960s and 70s TVs which I got 3 pickup loads for free. Would love it if you sent me some of the ones you think are cool i will make something out of it
K

i'll keep you posted, when I lived in Hell A there were plenty of old TV's round on the streets, tons of stuff in thrift stores,
here's the area in my yard with a one of the small buildings. There's a few more on down the land.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
OP
OP
Ledster

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Another fantastic view
yeah it's the worst out of the few, has a hill of garbage beside it. Some lady that lives on the hill above me has a real big grassy field with stone walls everywhere, I'm going to ask her if she'd let me hunt there, since pepperj said ask first.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
K

i'll keep you posted, when I lived in Hell A there were plenty of old TV's round on the streets, tons of stuff in thrift stores,
here's the area in my yard with a one of the small buildings. There's a few more on down the land.
How old is that building?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah it's the worst out of the few, has a hill of garbage beside it. Some lady that lives on the hill above me has a real big grassy field with stone walls everywhere, I'm going to ask her if she'd let me hunt there, since pepperj said ask first.
Once one person gets to know you the moccasin telegraph travels quick it seems.
If you get along well with one person, and they're well known the dropping of that permission goes a long ways in getting another.
I hunt on X property.
Reply: Well if it was ok with X that's all I need to know, have fun.

OP
OP
Ledster

Ledster

Mar 3, 2016
in the desert
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Once one person gets to know you the moccasin telegraph travels quick it seems.
If you get along well with one person, and they're well known the dropping of that permission goes a long ways in getting another.
I hunt on X property.
Reply: Well if it was ok with X that's all I need to know, have fun.
Moccasin telegraph? lol, I don't know her, I do see her workers every now and then, that tend the land. I'll ask them they seem pretty cool. What's x property?
I do have an old stone fire pit beside the falling down dwelling beside my house, I'd consider it a ash pit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread