I dont get it!!

urbss

Sep 15, 2005
Cresson, PA
I don't get it!!

I love reading all of the posts on hear about the great finds that all you folks make, but there is something I just don't get:

How do you know if you found something that is worth $$$?

I just read the post about the person buying some little oriental style thing for $5.00 and selling it for over $2800.00. That amazes me. But, I see all sorts of intereting things at sales, but I would not have the slightest clue what things might be worth.

I would bet that I have passes up some great deals. How do I go about not passing them up in the future??

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I don't get it!!

Read,Read, ask questsions and oh yes, Read! There are dozens of books available that deal with antiqueing and in dozens of categories. Monty

P

pippinwhitepaws

:icon_study:

i spend a lot of time in antique stores, talking to other collectors, and research.

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Blacksheep said:
Monty said:
Read,Read, ask questsions and oh yes, Read! There are dozens of books available that deal with antiqueing and in dozens of categories. Monty

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

it also helps to have one or two areas of intense study so that you become an expert on that area and recognize good buys when you see them. It would be impossible to be expert in all areas and overwhelming to say the least....start with one area then branch out into others that are of interest to you and study hard. In no time at all you will be recognizing what is a deal for you.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I spend so much time on this forum I don't have time for ebay! Actually , unless I am looking for a specific item or items, ebay has so much "junque" and "crappe'", it overwhelms me! I have used it some to Christmas shop for various things that are not ordinarily found in stores and you will find them on ebay most of the time. And usually you can save some money unless you get into a bidding contest and go nuts. I've seen that happen more than once. Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

But unfortunately, I am not the seller and some of those "bargains" are ones some people think they just can't live without. That's when they go nuts! My wife is an example. Last year she was looking for a specific toy she couldn't find in the stores for one of the grandkids. After being outbid for it a couple of time she put in high bids on several of them and wound up with 4 of them! Then she left it up to me to get rid of the others for which there was little demand after Christmas. That reminded me of the old "Honeymooners" skit with Jackie Gleason, " One of these days, POW, right in the kisser"! :D It tested my mettle. Monty

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain

It all comes down to the fact that there is no easy way to suddenly know the items that will make money. There is no substitute for study and research that is ongoing to keep up your knowledge and continually learn more about what you are looking for. If you don't LOVE antiques and various kinds of items, odds are you will never put in the time and effort to be successful at picking out the best garage sale items. I will admit I am only an expert on a few subjects, but I guarantee when it comes to those subjects I will know the ones with value. It is only because I have a passion for those subjects that I became a true expert in them. Just my thought on what what has worked for me...

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

urbss,

"I just read the post about the person buying some little oriental style thing for $5.00 and selling it for over $2800.00"

Folks don't post much about all the $5 deals they purchased that they
cannot get $2 for. ;D :wink:

have a good un....
SHERMANVILLE

P

pippinwhitepaws

hey Sherman,
i have two old Japanese swords...one found in the rafters of a condemned garage, the other a cost a c note.
i can't get rid of these things to save my life.

15 years i have had the oldest one...it was converted to european military furniture in the Meiji period. every "expert " who handles it gets real quiet...always a good sign, and then says they can't afford it...or they don't want to take a chance...ect.

and to make it worst, the one with the broken scabbard laid me open last year...forgot it was in the trunk of the car.
boy are those things sharp.

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have they given you an idea what that sword might be worth?
My brother knows a guy that deals in such blades. I could put you in touch with him.

P

pippinwhitepaws

here's a pic of the swords. the middle one is the oldest, the top is an 1891 model naval.

Attachments

• 04250025.JPG
    04250025.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,069

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:

You can put together a good reference library by going to used book stores and thrift shops and look for older copies of the various Kovels' books. They will have color and b/w photos of the various items. The Kovels updated their books fairly often and there are many "out there". In one used book shop, I found a book covering manufacturer marks, crests, and shields used by old glassware, plates, cups, etc. Not only were the marks identified, but they were broken down to their individual parts with the explanation of what they represented. That book cost me $2. I've seen Kovel books for as little as 50 cents. You can use these books to ID the "good" stuff without worrying about the past values shown. Those values change anyway, but usually "upward", so you can research the current values on items you buy. Those Kovels books are not the only books to look for in those used book stores. Look for any books that cover collectibles of all kinds.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

just-geese said:
Did we mention you have to read LOL... What Shortstack is saying is great but remember any book with pricing is nothing more than a guide so you can learn the difference in rarity. Here's a small example
This piece will sell for around $40

Where as this one will go for around $119

The main difference is the bow knot on #2. One other thing is that right now the market is flooded with reproductions, I think Roseville is one of the biggy's at this time. Good Luck
Don
stay way from roseville unless you are an expert in it..I got ripped off few years ago cause the fakes are made so well it can fool an ameuter like myself...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions