What's new

I dont have a clue... do you? 2 whats it found on a beach whle detecting.

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2010
Messages
1,131
Reaction score
74
Golden Thread
0
Location
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

First one came up as iron and was about 6" down.

101_5107.webp
101_5106.webp

Second one was down about 14" and registered as a nickle.

101_5110.webp
101_5111.webp
101_5112.webp
 

Attachments

  • 101_5107.webp
    101_5107.webp
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,092
  • 101_5106.webp
    101_5106.webp
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,093
  • 101_5112.webp
    101_5112.webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,077
  • 101_5111.webp
    101_5111.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 101_5110.webp
    101_5110.webp
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,083
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

first one just looks like a spike the second, I have no clue. you gotta admit though, it's pretty cool
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

First one looks like something you'd find in the toilet of a Mobile gas station. Both figuratively and literally.

The second item looks kind of neat. Crack that thing open.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

LOL first is an iron or steel nail or spike with a few melted aluminum pieces.

Not sure the second. It appears to be rounded by wave action.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

just a guess, but maybe the second one was used as a weight for something? nails/eyelets could be for rigging it
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

I think the stone is a concrete ballast stone for a lobster trap. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • lobester.webp
    lobester.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 948
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

Thanks Broken Knee... I could see it being that.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

Neat finds, Sean. I like the stone piece.

As far as the iron piece goes, hang on to it and check back with it in the future. I have found similar pieces, heavily encrusted, that once they dry out after several months/years the encrustation just flakes off with no damage to the iron underneath.

I've also found similar bits like the wedge shaped pieces in the first pic. Still haven't figured out what they are/were. :-\
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

paul1410 said:
I've also found similar bits like the wedge shaped pieces in the first pic. Still haven't figured out what they are/were. :-\
If you are refering to the melted aluminum pieces,
they are common finds on a beach from beer cans thrown into campfires..
and they get posted here quite often.

Rusted nails also extremely common.

The bottom pic is not as common but appears to be a wave worn cage trap ballast stone.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

My first guess was a RR spike. Lobster ballast rock? Possibly ???
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

crazyjarhead said:
My first guess was a RR spike. Lobster ballast rock? Possibly ???
Kinda small for a RR spike. Broken spike piece maybe.
Nails found on a saltwater beach swell up to 3x their size or more from corrosion.

Electrolysis tank will preserve it but its most likely not worth saving or even discussing and will soon crumble apart.
That being said, its good to save everything until positively IDed.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

I want to add that anything old worth saving found on a saltwater beach
should be put immediately into fresh water and leave it soaking
for days, weeks or even longer to remove the salts.
Distilled is best.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

Broken knee said:
I think the stone is a concrete ballast stone for a lobster trap. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
Why so many eyelets, though?
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

DialM said:
Broken knee said:
I think the stone is a concrete ballast stone for a lobster trap. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
Why so many eyelets, though?
I assumed they were rusted off ends from the wire cage, not eyelets :dontknow:

It looks like concrete with aggregate worn round by the wave action... wire cage rusted off.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

I'm 90% certain that the second object is a chunk of steel reinforced concrete. What you are seeing is the nubs of a section of steel rebar frame that the concrete was poured over. At some point, I'm guessing this section of concrete was dumped into the ocean either purposefully or accidentally and was then rounded off by the ocean current over a period of time.
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

allen_idaho said:
I'm 90% certain that the second object is a chunk of steel reinforced concrete. What you are seeing is the nubs of a section of steel rebar frame that the concrete was poured over. At some point, I'm guessing this section of concrete was dumped into the ocean either purposefully or accidentally and was then rounded off by the ocean current over a period of time.
rebar? It would have helped if we knew the size lol.
I thought we were looking at an item that could fit in the palm of your hand. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

bigcypresshunter said:
allen_idaho said:
I'm 90% certain that the second object is a chunk of steel reinforced concrete. What you are seeing is the nubs of a section of steel rebar frame that the concrete was poured over. At some point, I'm guessing this section of concrete was dumped into the ocean either purposefully or accidentally and was then rounded off by the ocean current over a period of time.
rebar? It would have helped if we knew the size lol.
I thought we were looking at an item that could fit in the palm of your hand. :dontknow:

I think he was talking about concrete mesh or wire, sometimes called re-mesh,

like this
ct5.webp
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

Ah OK I agree concrete in wire. Its either concrete mesh or cage depending upon size. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

DialM said:
Broken knee said:
I think the stone is a concrete ballast stone for a lobster trap. :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
Why so many eyelets, though?
With out having actual measurements I'm guessing it is 1x2 rectangular fencing multiple blocks being cast from a piece of fence then cut the ends and bend to form the eyelets remember the ocean is a very rough environment so the more attachment points the better. :icon_thumright: also if this was just a broken piece of sidewalk I don't think it would have such a uniform rectangular shape. But it could who knows? Man I cant wait til spring! HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 

Attachments

  • fence.webp
    fence.webp
    8.1 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0
Re: I don't have a clue... do you? 2 what's it found on a beach whle detecting.

Sorry for not replying earlier. I just noticed the questions.

As for the bits being melted beer cans. There is no chance of camp fires in this area. It's a beach in a wealthy area and they won't even let you bring a grill on the beach let alone have a camp fire.
1 of them is textured and the other 2 do seem to be a melted substance, but I'm pretty sure they are not aluminum.
101_5108.webp
101_5113.webp

The rock is about the size of my hand. It seems to me to be a rock with what seems to me to be staples around it. The cracked open area has rocks and what appears to be concrete or something poured into it.

The staples don't seem to go through the rock. It seems to me like they were forced into it.

I'm stumped on this one :icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • 101_5108.webp
    101_5108.webp
    17 KB · Views: 482
  • 101_5113.webp
    101_5113.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom