I Found A Lincoln Today-And A Hamlin!

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
My neighbor wanted to learn about detecting so today I took him out to a park and lent him one of my detectors, he caught on very quickly and dug a few pennies….and junk! I dug a few pennies, two nickels….and junk! We decided to go to another place and on the way he said he had a friend that owned an old house that we might be able to detect. He called and got permission and we drove up to the house. An old house he said….try 1803! That is the year Ohio became a State! After chatting a bit with the nice lady there we started. My second target was a round brass object it was giving me a 12-25 12-27 type signal, it looked like it had writing on it and I told Bob “I think this might be something good”. It was too dirty and crusted up to look at it then and we did not have more than a couple of hours that we could hunt due to Bob having a work appointment. Bob got a few zincolns and an older key and some interesting stuff or as Diane puts it “choice junk”! I was butterflying around a bit when under a big tree in back I got a scratchy penny signal saying an inch deep. Well as a practice at such sites I dig virtually all repeatable targets. Imagine my surprise when at barely an inch out pops the most beautiful Two Cent Piece I have ever dug! It is an 1869 in beautiful condition with a lovely patina on it. I also got a key, seven older wheats and choice junk. When we returned home we came in and I gently washed off the mystery item…my eyes popped when I saw the words Abraham Lincoln the center was rusted badly and I knew immediately what it was, the 1860 Presidential Election token/medallion. The reverse had his running mate Hannibal Hamlin and his portrait. I had to admit I was doing a mental happy dance in my kitchen. From what I can ascertain this is rather scarce and ones with the pictures intact are quite valuable. Unfortunately virtually all dug ones the tin type portraits are gone due to rust.

How they originally appeared with photo intact.

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/user/Tony_Mantia/media/Mobile%20Uploads/LinHam02a_zpsae6191f3.jpg.html" target="_blank">

Upvote 8

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
super finds, congrats... so is he hooked?

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great 2 center and love the election token !

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gorgeous 2 center. The Lincoln medal is a cool find.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool Lincoln token! I just found one last week of the men that ran against him in 1860. John Breckinridge and Joseph Lane. I thought it odd to find that token here in Maine. I checked the election results in the State of Maine and they only received 6% of the votes. I'm proud to say that this state was a bunch of Lincoln lovers. My name is Abraham(named after Lincoln) and a Lincoln campaign token is very high on my wish list. Big congrats to you

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely beautiful 2 cent piece. Bonus that its a later year one as well. There were so many 1864's made. See them posted a lot, but not the 1869's. Congrats! :thumbsup:

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool relic there and good historical information also !! Nice 2 cent as well, still looking for my first here !

OP
OP
Bell-Two

Bell-Two

Aug 28, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac & Ace 250
Very cool Lincoln token! I just found one last week of the men that ran against him in 1860. John Breckinridge and Joseph Lane. I thought it odd to find that token here in Maine. I checked the election results in the State of Maine and they only received 6% of the votes. I'm proud to say that this state was a bunch of Lincoln lovers. My name is Abraham(named after Lincoln) and a Lincoln campaign token is very high on my wish list. Big congrats to you

My nephew found one for another candidate John Bell & Edward Everett. The nice thing I am relatively sure who owned it, at that time he would have been 64 years old and a prominent person in the county. His father came to Ohio and built this house in 1803 and he brought some slaves with him that he inherited from his father. When he reached Ohio he freed them, I have seen copies of the Emancipation listings on line. His family was pro abolition so it would be normal for him to be a Lincoln supporter. He died a and was buried in the family cemetery right there on the property.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
COOL dig finds. Your coins beat mine by a decade. Keep searching!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My nephew found one for another candidate John Bell & Edward Everett. The nice thing I am relatively sure who owned it, at that time he would have been 64 years old and a prominent person in the county. His father came to Ohio and built this house in 1803 and he brought some slaves with him that he inherited from his father. When he reached Ohio he freed them, I have seen copies of the Emancipation listings on line. His family was pro abolition so it would be normal for him to be a Lincoln supporter. He died a and was buried in the family cemetery right there on the property.
That is fantastic to have that background info. Very rare do we make finds and get the pleasure of knowing thee stories

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and thanks for those pictures

Top Member Reactions